Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Before and after school #'s

Hi there, can someone tell me....how many after school children can someone look after...I SAW a woman pick up 9 children after school and take them to her home, apparently she has between 6 and 9 every day? Has something changed..., these kids are all JK - gr. 3

It depend on which province you are in.

In Ontario you are only allowed 5 kids in your numbers.
    however between now and August 31, 2017 children ages 10, 11 and 12 don't count in a providers number according to the CCEYA. Come August 31, 2017 ALL daycare children between the ages of newborn to 13 yrs old count in a providers number. there are exceptions for a providers own children. so if the kids are 10, 11 or 12 years old they don't count and she can have as many as she wants until school starts back up. if they are younger then 10 then they count and she is not within the legal limit for Ontario.

If you are in another province, I can't help you.

Starting to feel at home...
    I'm in Nova Scotia, and if you are with an agency, you can have 7 of mixed ages (only 3u3) or 9 if all school aged. If private, you can have 6 mixed or 8 school age. Don't know about other provinces.

Euphoric !
    Even in Ontario I think it is possible to be allowed that many school-agers. If the daycare providers has 4 school age children of her own and 5 daycare children.

While uncommon these days it is totally possible to have 4 kids in 5years. Throw in a set of twins and it's even more possible. Throw in a short kid or two and your JK-grade 3 age range can expand a year or two giving the caregiver 7 years to have had 4 of her own children.

Shy
    I'm in Ontario and there was a woman at our school doing the same thing. I know she knew better because I told her about the rules last year. She was picking up 6/7 kids and had preschoolers being dropped at her residence (presumably with help at the home). I called on her and the following week she only picked up 2 . At the moment they are just warning providers to comply, so you could call on her, if you have her address, and you'd be doing her a favour. (before they start charging people).

Outgoing
    I agree on calling and reporting it. It is thanks to this kind of negligence we are in the situation that we are. They do not understand that the media is just waiting for us to make mistakes and publish it, which doesn't affect only to them, it affects to all of us who had worked hard to stablish a reputation.

Outgoing
    I'm in southern Ontario and only 1 of the kids is hers. The kids are between 4 and 8 years old. People I have mentioned this to more less say..."take care of yourself...stick to the rules and never mind her business"....it's not up to me to be the rat! Take care of myself, just thought maybe I was missing something, thanks for your replies