Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Length of nap

Expansive...

Length of nap

I have an infant who has taken about 6 weeks to transition as far as naps go. Child doesn't nap in morning and does about 1.5 hrs in the afternoon. Now the parents are complaining about the nap affecting the child's sleep at home at night, and asking me to shorten it. The child is 13 months old, and I've never heard of such a request. Nap time is 2 hrs. here, and they sleep how long they sleep, unless it's a preschooler that parents have asked to shorten it. I'm at a loss.. I don't think 1.5 hrs is too long a nap for an infant. Am I way off base here?

Starting to feel at home...
    Is the child happy for you until afternoon nap? Engaging with toys independently? The earliest I've dropped a child to one nap was 14 months, so I don't think you're off base at all! And when they first drop to one here, they have their lunch a bit early so that they can have 2.5h in the afternoon (the 16mo I have now takes a 2h nap in am, up to 2h nap in pm, and sleeps 7pm-6:30am). My 18mo has a 2.5h nap in the afternoon (12:30-3), and sleeps 7-7. Maybe the child is more stimulated by her day with you, and more wound up? Or perhaps the parents miss the child's cues and the child gets a second wind? I am firm on 2 hours of afternoon nap-room time for age 0-3.

I just checked my favourite sleep book out of curiosity, and for that age group it lists the average requirement at 1-2 naps, totalling 2-3h, with 11.5-12 overnight-total 13-14/24h. Some babies need more or less of course, but I think parents should be trying other things before cutting down an already short nap.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kindredspirit For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Ahh the magical solution of cutting the nap so night sleep with magically improve. NOT.

This child is NOT old enough to be shortening the 1.5hr nap!!!

I had a family that really struggled with sleep and they asked me if I felt shortening the nap here would help. I asked if she slept better at night on the weekends when their daughter only napped 20min in their arms. The realized that no, nights were no better as it was NOT a slept too long at daycare thing but rather a inconsistent routine at home.

I would NOT be willing to shorten nap time for a 13 months old on one nap. Maybe for an older child about to start school but not a 13month old.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Thanks ladies! I knew I wasn't being unreasonable. Child is miserable by the time we get to bed, so I wasn't going to wake the baby earlier than necessary.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy ECE mommy View Post
    I have an infant who has taken about 6 weeks to transition as far as naps go. Child doesn't nap in morning and does about 1.5 hrs in the afternoon. Now the parents are complaining about the nap affecting the child's sleep at home at night, and asking me to shorten it. The child is 13 months old, and I've never heard of such a request. Nap time is 2 hrs. here, and they sleep how long they sleep, unless it's a preschooler that parents have asked to shorten it. I'm at a loss.. I don't think 1.5 hrs is too long a nap for an infant. Am I way off base here?
    No YOU are NOT way off base , THE PARENTS ARE !!!

Shy
    Having trouble going to sleep at night is often a sign of an overtired child. I often remind parents that sleep begets sleep. I would try increasing the nap time for a few weeks to see what happens. Certainly a 2 hour nap is the minimum for a child that age.