Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

Reversal of Regulations - Ontario

If anyone's interested, the PCs have begun stating publicly that they plan to reverse regulations in the CCEYA when elected next year. They have shown tremendous support to the Independent Childcare Sector for more than 2 years. CICPO continues to work with them on policy direction in an effort to better serve Ontario's families and Independent Childcare Providers. We will be participating in a Blue Ribbon Panel hearing this Spring to have further input into policy direction. This is big news and we've been waiting to share it.

If anyone is interested in becoming involved with helping CICPO with upcoming initiatives, don't hesitate to get in touch.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Reverse as in: no more 2 under 2 and a providers own children no longer count in her numbers? And we get to remain private?

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRose View Post
    Reverse as in: no more 2 under 2 and a providers own children no longer count in her numbers? And we get to remain private?
    Here is the statement I just issued on FB

"Earlier this week CICPO issued a statement regarding a comment made by a Progressive Conservative candidate to one of our members. I know many of you have specific questions. Here is what we can tell you:

** The Progressive Conservative Party have expressed a strong interest in reforming the CCEYA and collaborating with us on that task. Our main focus is on the 2 under 2 clause, tweaking the inclusion of a provider's own children and implementing a mandatory safety standard including First Aid/CPR, appropriate insurance, CO2/smoke alarms and Emergency Plans.

** We have been in contact with government policy advisors and are
    assured that our goal to change the current legislation is both legal and possible.

CICPO is prepared to go to bat for ICPs again. With the next election in just 14 months there is lots of work to be done! We look forward to working with ICPs again to keep the most prolific and diverse childcare sector viable for the future generations of Ontario families.

We need all hands on deck! This is it folks!"

The Progressive Conservatives have been supporting ICPs since Bill 143 was tabled. That's a very long game for ANY political party. This is our only shot at changes so we're really gunning for it at this point. I've kissed my husband goodbye for the next 14 months, lol.
    Last edited by cfred; 04-06-2017 at 09:38 AM. Reason: typo

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Things are starting to happen now. So far this week, Heidi has done an interview for a CBC print article. I have been asked to do an on camera for Global News. Another member did an interview for her local paper.

And so the positive forward momentum begins

This is a good start.

Outgoing
    It will be great!!! But also please, put on the table independent licensing or at least affordable. Having an access to a sixth spot is helpful, especially when we have children transitioning or starting daycare. It becomes helpful to have access to a sixth spot but, obviously not at the ridiculous "independent caregiver friendly package" rate. $3000 and $4000 a year.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacefulbird View Post
    It will be great!!! But also please, put on the table independent licensing or at least affordable. Having an access to a sixth spot is helpful, especially when we have children transitioning or starting daycare. It becomes helpful to have access to a sixth spot but, obviously not at the ridiculous "independent caregiver friendly package" rate. $3000 and $4000 a year.
    Of course we'd love to see that happen as well. That will always be something that we want to discuss for those who want it. It's never off the table. For now, the biggest focus is on 2 under 2 and tweaking the children under 13.

LOL...independent friendly? They're really trying to appeal to us, so I guess that's progress. I know of a couple different packages that are definitely better than what's been offered in the past, but still not good enough. Compass has one that allows a provider to essentially run her business the way she was (with reams of more paperwork) for substantially less (I think it was $150 or so/mo). A friend just signed on with one in the west end of Ontario for maaaaybe a little less. She said the paperwork is daunting.

Outgoing
    I think compass is the one that has a fee of $100 a month. Their professionals are very friendly. I wonder if they could expand heir service to all ontario. Here in Ottawa no signs of supporting Icp's. Agencies have jumped on the wagon of making profit from a need. It is sad when such agencies are Non-for-profit, supposedly.

Euphoric !
    We really liked the Compass rep at the meetings. She was the one who apologized for maligning us publicly and was much nicer after our presentation. I think, aside from Natural Connections, Compass was the first to come up with a more progressive package.

I have an interview today for a Global News Report. One Ottawa rep just filled the reporter in on a lot of details, including our desire to license directly by the MOE, but their unwillingness due to lack of funds (though they're spending 3.8B on new licensed spaces). I'll be discussing all this stuff so, HOPEFULLY the right info is aired to dispel some of the misinformation being perpetuated about us. I sent a fairly forceful letter to them after seeing a post on FB looking for negative stories about home daycares, so I guess this is a good thing...fingers crossed.

Even if CICPO isn't successful in our goals, at the very least I would think you'll see more and more appealing packages come out in the future. AND, the MOE is having its feet held to the fire, for a change

This is really great work you are doing cfred. If there is anything I can do to help then let me know and I'll do my best to contribute in between having my head stuck in a textbook and daycare hours.

I looked on the Compass website and there is nothing I can find stating a monthly fee for daycare providers but perhaps I missed it. That being said, the rates advertised are less than I charge without paying an agency. Also Compass seem to only cover the Peterborough area and certain surrounding areas.

Natural Connections is $250 a month and seems to offer more freedom with respect to policies and rates. Just a huge expense during the slower months although to be honest having the 6th child would be helpful for the transition times.

Ultimately the biggest obstacle I am experiencing is that the vast majority of inquiries are for under 2 and I am turning them away left right and center. Parents are screwed in my area due to few providers and even less good ones. Before and after school care is an increasing inquiry due to less than 20% of Kindergarten enrollment being covered in town let alone older children. If the under two was reversed and some mandated regulation was enforced I think this could be a great start to making the sector meet demand better while actually offering some regulations to offer reassurance that the children are safe.

Euphoric !
    Hey, Bright Sparks! Thanks There will be some jobs coming up soon for everyone. We're working on letter templates to go out to parents and providers. I'll happily email them your way when the time comes! We're probably lining it up with the airing of the interview I just did with Global News. Getting a job underway while folks are excited seems to work best.

Yes, Compass is just the Kawartha area, I believe. Natural Connections has a bit of a farther reach, perhaps, but is a new organization. Kelli Cassidy is the owner and just awesome! We continue to work with her as she believes there's value in all sectors of childcare. BUT, I think the monthly cost of Compass doesn't include the cost of the home visitor.....not really sure. I've picked up bits and pieces from different conversations, so I could be wrong. Regardless of how progressive a program is, though, it's not good enough. The fact that the onus is on us for making childcare affordable for every stakeholder in the childcare industry EXCEPT us is ludicrous! We are some of the lowest earning workers in the province and we're expected to pay for our own oversight? We have to keep it affordable for parents AND the MOE??? Come ON!!! There's money being provided the government for the childcare industry. If they want us licensed, they can damn well offer us direct licensing at an affordable rate....and by affordable I mean well below $1000/year. The agency offerings are, to put it bluntly, complete bullshit (though not through any fault of their own). This is an MOE responsibility.

The reporter did message me and said she listened to what the Minister said about offering licensing. She stated that they've created a pathway and are willing to work with us. Pfft.....my response was that I'll believe it when I see it, lol. She's probably only talking about the Home Visitor Cap being lifted, which we fought tooth and nail for for 2 years.

We've begun working with the PCs again. Things are underway and we're focused on the 2 under 2 and tweaking the inclusion of a provider's children. I'm hoping to see a little sweet talking from the Liberal side with their popularity sooooo low (hehehe), but I wouldn't hold my breath. They are 100% in bed with the agency sector. The HCCAO (aka agency sector advocates), CRRU (aka Martha Friendly) and OCBCC (Carolyn Ferns, I believe) had a direct line into the creation of the CCEYA. Their interest is in saving their failing sector.
    Last edited by cfred; 04-11-2017 at 10:47 AM.