Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

S/O what made you choose to open a day home?

What were the deciding factors that led to your decision.

Would you change anything?

I knew that I was to open one up eventually, especially after I had kids; but plans changed! I am ECE trained, and am Registered within the Ontario College of Early Childhood Educators (RECE).

A family friend was in need of a provider for their daughter, and because I didn't have a job yet, I pounced on it! Almost 2 years later, I have an established home daycare; and I will be having a 1st Year ECE student for placement in the new year.

I wouldn't change anything for this job. I have my own business; I am my own boss; make my own rules and regulations; and choose the parents AND the kids! Couldn't have anything better (well, except for my dance school)!

I still don't have children of my own, but my dream was to stay at home with my own kids once I have them.

Euphoric !
    I hated having my two sons in daycare and after my daughter was born it became much better financially for me to stay home and open a daycare, plus it means I will never have to put my kids in daycare again! Even though I had a pretty good job, I am way better off and happier as well doing this. I don't have any regrets at all although I am only a year in, so I will re-evaluate in a couple of years and decide whether to continue or not once my kids are all in school.

Starting to feel at home...
    For me I had been a Nanny for almost 10 years so working with children was nothing new. After I had my son I hated the thought of "leaving" him. I can't afford to be a stay at home mom so this is the best of both worlds. I have to work but I have my son with me. It is also wonderful for his social skills. I don't regret a thing! I am so happy doing this.

Expansive...
    Once we had 2 children - daycare was expensive and my old job treated my as though they were mad at me for having gone on maternity leave the second time.
    So I did some work from home jobs a couple of years but the income was so irregular that it was hard to plan or budget anything.
    I was scrambling to think how to get a steady income and still be there for my kids and daycare kept coming to my mind.
    So I finally did it - put an ad out, got supplies and a playroom set up and decided to see what the interest level was.
    I got a bunch of calls the first week of May and thought that it must be the answer to my problems. I decided to go ahead and get set up, do my first aid and police check etc and suddenly the calls stopped. I then waited a whole summer no calls and began to second guess whether I was wrong.
    and then in Sept I suddenly got 3 calls again all in a row and landed and secured each interview and that was how I got started.
    It has been 1.5 years now and I don't regret it....most days

Expansive...
    I re entered the work force in a dead economy when my little one was 12 months. Worked for a family of bosses that didn’t value their employees at all. They didn’t give sick days, over time etc… I had to drive an hour each day to work and only had 2 hours a day with my little one. Days off were filled with trying to catch up on everything else, laundry, cleaning etc…with not much quality time with my baby.

At 1-½ years old I remember my daughter covering me with a blanket on the couch because I was too exhausted to cook dinner saying “it’s ok Mama, it’s ok”. She was so sweet but that broke my heart.

My job became so physically demanding (food & Beverage supervisor for 2 restaurants) & mentally demanding! Working 10 hours a day on my feet with a 2 hour commute I had to start sleeping in my car at the ½ way point on the way home for ½ or I would have killed myself & possibly someone else on the hi-way.

So I walked out on the job one afternoon and never looked back. I talked with my little ones daycare provider to get some insight on how to get started and now we are the best of friends! She is my ambassador of quawn.

It took me 2 months to get set up and 2 more months to fill my spaces! I decided to never work for anyone else ever again. I love my hours, I only have myself to answer to and it’s the best! Some days are challenging and some are a breeze but without challenges I would get board way to fast! I tend to be a bit of an over achiever when it comes to things so if I get burnt out I only have myself to blame. I need to remind myself that its ok if we don’t do a craft everyday and yes its ok to sit and drink coffee for a good 45 minutes in the morning while the kids play! Sometimes that’s the only time I get to sit so I take advantage!

I’m currently in burn out mode as I haven’t had a vacation in year and half but whom do I have to answer too? LOL
    Last edited by Skysue; 12-18-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Euphoric !
    Skysue, you need to take a vacation!!! Nobody can keep going like that with no time off. It's a demanding job and you deserve a rest

Expansive...
    LOL I agree Kangeroo Mama
    I take off at least 3 weeks every year. Usually 6 days at Christmas and 6 days during the summer and then some miscellaneous 'peace of mind' or appointment days. Just making yourself a long weekend and booking off a Monday or a Friday can be therapeutic