Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Do you give in at any demand!

Hi everyone,

I'm curious to find out! if you get the high demands from the parents
    For example lately I being getting a lot and it's making me tired, take pictures for B-day parties, don't take them outside to play, if I asked for them to bring me an item to Daycare they bring the wrong one, they mentioned if you go out put an extra jacket
    I do my job so well done for many years but lately this people are more picky my prices are so cheap compare to group Daycare and still treat me like a nanny �� ugh so annoying what do you think? Is it me because I done for so long I'm becoming bored maybe lol
    Last edited by littlefish; 04-07-2017 at 09:46 AM.

Expansive...
    The request of not putting the jacket on at pick up time maybe because there was a study done and it found that it is better not to have the children's jacket on when they wear their seat belts,
    the take picture request is normal request from parents.
    the one about not letting them outside you can remind them if they are not well enough for the daycare program and that includes going outside they should not be at daycare

Outgoing
    I think parents are more involved now and also more aware, which is great. Before, all the responsibility was left on your hands now, they have a say positive or negative is great, they are participating.

You are the main person in that group. So. Basically you can decide to guide them through all your accumulated knowledge.

I keep always extras of everything so, no frustration arise from left things at their home, it is my job and I do it as comfortable as I can for my group and me. I do not let little issues ruin my days, the frustration is not worth it. Children come, children go, but my heart will always keep treasured just the beautiful moments we've shared.

Euphoric !
    If they were to demand it, no. If they request something nicely, I will do my best to accommodate it.

I don't run my business as a "it's my way or the highway" and I work with the parents to help raise their child. However, respect is needed or it won't work out. I won't be told what to do but I'm definitely open to their opinions and wants/needs

Over the years I have being so flexible and I'm still do my job with so much care, but I'm still a person that ask with a please and thank you's, so in some way I expect the same back, with respect, but there are things that I don't allow for examples manipulation number one, but if they are kind than we are talking.

Expansive...
    yes, if the requests sound like DEMANDS then it would STOP me from listening , never mind doing

Hell No! My clients realize from day 1 that I call the shoots. They can ask all they want. But I will not keep the children inside, or not nap them or do any "family crafts" (card for a parents b-day etc). If they bring the wrong supply and I am 100% out (or not enough to get through the day) I send them home to get it with child in toe. The child can be dropped off once they are ready for the day, this includes having the right supplies.

I generally try to work with the parents, and the ones I have like to feel involved. They don't 'demand' though, and that's why we have a great relationship. If they thank me for a photo (one parent put a pic I took of just her child on facebook, another shared a link to a post I made with her daughter demonstrating a lesson (no faces showing). These things make me take more pics because I know it's appreciated. Same with art. If a parent or child mentions a special date (we might be early picking up because it's Bob's birthday) then we will make a card or craft or cupcake, and if it is appreciated, I keep doing it.

I won't keep them in because they say so, and if they don't have gear, I use my extras and take pics as a passive aggressive reminder (they often message back-oops! I can't believe I forgot her coat! Thanks for lending one). And the item is always there next day. For things like telling me to bundle them up, I just assume it's small talk-because they were outside, and try not to take offence. I generally nod, and say 'yes, looks like a chilly one'.

Euphoric !
    If I am asked, with the full ability to say no, then I am more than willing to go out of my way to help/accommodate. If I am pressured, pushed, demanded to do something with no ability to freely say no...then I refuse. Demands are not respectful. If you don't respect me enough to ask, then it is NOT in my best interest to comply and at the end of the day I have to look out for myself first.

Some people just don't care and don't respect others (or themselves) enough to care. If you are receiving a lot of demands it means the relationship is not healthy and needs some changes. I tried to explain this to my mother-in-law years ago...