Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Starting to feel at home...
    Nova Scotia has agencies, but in my opinion, they do it right! There is zero charge to the provider or parent, everything the agency does is government funded. I get monthly visits (they usually bring a craft or toys/equipment to borrow for the month, check my attendance book, menus and checklists, we chat about any issues or brainstorm answers for problems other providers are having). I get $500 per year towards education, monthly night out with other providers, and a yearly inspection. Parents love it-none of mine qualify for subsidy, but every single one commented on that in the interview that they liked knowing someone had checked it out already.

The government must spend a fortune on it, but in return, they have a lot more regulated homes in their system, because it's actually attractive to join an agency.

Outgoing
    How interesting, I would absolutely get licensed and support agencies like the ones in Nova Scotia. I thought it was only Ontario that had agencies (missinformed).

Euphoric !
    Thanks for the info, Kindredspirit! That sounds like your government is very committed to childcare and support it with lots of base funding. Our Ministry of Education said there isn't any money for licensing us, so our only option is to go through agencies who push the cost of the monthly home visits onto the providers. One of our execs was talking to an Andrew Fleck provider and found out that they take a massive amount from providers. I think the amount totaled approximately $20,000 per year, with a full house of 6 children. Who among us can afford to lose that? In our opinion, it is up to the Ministry to cover that, not the low paid providers. It's a terrible system here. I"m thrilled that CICPO has had some impact in that more agencies are coming up with new, more attractive models, but it still isn't even close to good enough. The MOE puts almost all of its money in centre care, leaving out the largest sector. Very short sighted!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Of course, Andrew Fleck takes advantage of its seniority in Ottawa. But, honestly they should analize their funding and all the the desks they've created there. It is a lot and people working on those desks make also a lot plus all kinds of benefits.

I'm not surprised that, those caregivers are paying the tab.

Euphoric !
    Gah...I'd rather gnaw off my own arm than work for Andrew Fleck under Kim Hiscott. Compass sounds much better and we really liked the head of that agency. Our favourite is Natural Connections. Kelli WAS an ICP once, so very supportive and understanding of our needs and concerns. People like Kim Hiscott, Marni Flaherty and all their cronies have one narrow vision for childcare and it's very cookie cutter. Most parents like the diversity ICPs offer. We're not arguing against oversight and licensing, just the way it's being offered. We think other provinces have shown that there is, indeed, more than one way to license a home daycare.
    Last edited by cfred; 04-21-2017 at 06:33 AM. Reason: typo

Expansive...
    It works well in BC without the Agency as the home-daycares are all licensed and getting a annual
    visit by the Lic Officers as they work with us.There are also Lic not Required daycares if they want to take care of less children. The Ontario Agencies seem to be just grabbing the money from their group of daycares for doing nothing, which I don't understand.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    In my personal view all the system in Ontario is corrupt. Even the fact fact of supporting and creating more centres, they do not learn from mistakes, in a Ece's conference there was the representative of the Quebec childcare system, they're facing a huge problem, they've created so many government run centres that at first it was fine but eventually they got over run, the government can not keep up with the maintenance of those centres, as a result, their enrollment is lowering which now, doesn't justify all the expenses that they're incurring to run these old centres. And obviously there is also a for-profit sector that keeps creating new and modern centres that attract parents. Which also the government supports through facilitating licensing there isn't any sense, you can see three to four daycares in a block, all offering different kind of incentives to parents. But also leaving the public sector in struggle, the government somehow has to still keep up running these centres.

If they create something like that here in Ontario, it will be our taxes and our future generations paying, for the poor decisions made by a corrupted system.
    Last edited by Peacefulbird; 04-23-2017 at 09:59 AM.