Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

A positive news segment on Independent Childcare, FINALLY!!!!

The interview with Global News went well and thank god that's over! The reporter, though pro-licensing, was very nice and, I think seeing things a little differently after 2 hours in my home daycare. The segment is balanced, actually a bit favourable to us, I think and, though it barely scratches the surface of licensing issues in Ontario, it's a nice start. CICPO will be starting up letter writing initiatives to follow up this piece to 'strike while the iron is hot'. This piece is definitely pointed in the right direction and we hope to get more media attention to spread public awareness. I hope some of you will want to participate as well

http://globalnews.ca/video/3377473/c...-how-to-fix-it

Expansive...
    Excellent video cfred, and the children were so well behaved considering the TV crew were there for 2 hours !!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    Excellent video cfred, and the children were so well behaved considering the TV crew were there for 2 hours !!
    Thanks! The kids were amazing! That was a lot of hustle and bustle in a small space, so I'm really proud of the little monkeys Of course, when my back was to them, I could hear them doing all kinds of things they'd NEVER do if I was able to monitor them...like dumping the coloured sand absolutely everywhere. The mum that was on camera later was there helping, but kids can always tell when you're 'indisposed'.

Hopefully this segment is the start of a conversation about different licensing models in Ontario. I guess I should probably expect a 'random' inspection soon, lol!

Outgoing
    Thank you so much Cfred, I really hope parents got a hint of what is really going on. They can not ignore the fact that 80% of the chilcare is handled by us and the licensed sector had more insidents than our sector, and they only handle 20% and if they analize it, the deaths happened in Illegal conditions, where the ministry of education did not do anything. So, they had to find a scape goat "us"; hard working dedicated caregivers.

It really makes me think who is really interested in the wellfare of the children, when all I see in meetings and media is only "blue suits". Do not tell me these people actually works with children on the floor. I'm very sure they're mostly employees of big stakeholders who are taking advantage of an unfortunate insident in an "illegal" situation.

We are not hiding, we are not doing anything illegal, we do want to keep helping families. We want to be "licensed"; we want to be part of the huge change happening, i'm asking to them, please do not ignore us.

If the meaning of "quality and safety" for them is oversight then, make it possible and affordable for every caregiver. Not just supporting "agencies" who are charging $3000 and $4000 a year.

Also I wonder, where all the promised funding will go, I'm very sure to all "the blue suits", while Ece's still working three jobs to afford a living.
    Last edited by Peacefulbird; 04-16-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Starting to feel at home...
    How much to Wee Watch and other agencies charge the parents?

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearlessbaby View Post
    How much to Wee Watch and other agencies charge the parents?
    I'm really not sure. I know for Hopscotch (similar to WeeWatch) in my area charge parents $42/day (FT infant). The Provider gets $35 and still has to pay her expenses out of the remainder. So, a 20% loss for that one, less expenses. Andrew Fleck charges the parent $48 and the provider gets $35 - approximately 28%. So they can vary anywhere from 10%-30% depending on the agency. There are several Weewatch infant spaces in my area that charge the parents $42, so I would assume t amount held back from providers would be similar. These are the lowest priced spaces in the whole area and have been sitting there for several months. I think that speaks to the agency's quality. And for some areas (like mine), those agencies are all that's available. And then there is Compass, that offers a $100/mo package, which is basically a 'no frills' kind of deal.

But really, we (CICPO) are of the mind that we shouldn't have to fishing around for the best of the poor options out there.
    Last edited by cfred; 04-17-2017 at 06:43 AM.

Outgoing
    In my area, West of ontario. The non-for-profit agencies are charging between $43 to $45 to parents and pay caregivers between $32 to $35. I did a basic math calculation and this is what I found out. Caregivers that are filled by agency "clients" only, six spots. Agencies are collecting between $11,000 to $12,000 from each caregiver a year. Now multiply that for the number of caregivers they handle. And they call themselves (non-for-profit?)

An agency caregiver gets let's say $35 per child per day, aprox. $3.7 per hour. But still, more expenses to be covered by the caregiver such as ; 2 snacks, lunch, even breakfast in some cases. Also the expenses of the utilities in her house (water, hydro, gas etc) which is tax deductible but just a percentage not 100%. After all the deductions the caregiver still has to pay income tax in most of the cases.

Now everyone please tell me how can they advocate for "quality" when agencies are paying so little?

Independent caregivers, charge more bUT, we invest in our programs so children can thrive. Many caregivers have invested in their education such as Early childhood Education, montessori, etc.so they can offer "quality" programs to families.

Euphoric !
    The entire crux of their argument about 'quality' is based on oversight. Most of us already have the quality aspect down. If we had affordable, independent oversight then the lower quality providers either have to shape up or lose business....and agencies really have become redundant. We simply have more money to put back into our businesses, so it stands to reason that we have access to higher quality food, supplies, equipment, etc. That's the joy of not working below the poverty line....something the agency sector hasn't figured out yet. They're focused on saving their crippled sector so screaming oversight is really all they have. If we have oversight, they've got nothing left to balk at.

I have said this before and will say it again. In SK the INDIVIDUAL is Licenced it can be done, and honestly for little cost.... I don't see the huge deal.

Outgoing
    The problem is; that Ontario is the only province that has agencies. I'm sure somehow the MOE is trying to keep them afloat, but if you make more math of it even at $42 per child and paying the minimun per hour to a caregiver $33. Imagine how much collects every home visitor (allowed for 25 homes and aprox. 150 children), it seems all that money goes to their administration sector (directors, accountants, visitors, etc) so, there isn't any surprise when they say they support their communities or have CEOs or stakeholders advocating for "oversight or quality".and try to make disappear our sector.

If there isn't any money in it then ,why would they fight?

Cfred and dodge driver, you're absolutely right there isn't any other reason of why they will stop us. I agree, our sector is qualified and proffesional and responsible parents recognize it.

These agenies are currently asking for "base funding"; insinuating that if the government helps them out with their administration costs, the funding will help them to also help our sector. But, we know basically that the funding won't be used as such, they will be able to keep it in their pockets or create more unnecessary jobs and desks.

We as Icp's, are clearly demonstrating that it is posible to be selfsustained, we do all, from administration to quality service delivery. And we have not asked for any help such as "base funding"; we are only asking to make possible licensing affordable. And we know it can be done. Do not tell me that other service sectors pay $3000 to $4000 a year for their licenses and yet still get monitored.

If they're asking and looking for oversight then make it posible for every caregiver and no matter what, it should be affordable for a caregiver with one or six children in care.

Agencies are currently charging per year. But, all of us know that we are not guaranteed to keep our spots full every year or even months. Families come and go. They're also offerin a grant to caregivers that have low income if they're with an agency, my question is how much more the agency also keeps from it (administration fees). Mean while the poor caregivers are ordered to improve their menus and quality for an extra $20 a day when caring for 6 children.
    Last edited by Peacefulbird; 04-19-2017 at 06:15 AM.