Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Question How to have more than 6 kids in a private day home?

Hello everyone!
    I have a question for you, I am currently running a private day home and I was wondering if I can have more than 6 kids (up to 10 maybe) if another person is working full time with me at the same time.
    Do I need to change my category from private day home to a family day home and get all the licensing/approving from the government? I do not like the idea to work with an agency..

Thanks for your time!

Starting to feel at home...
    What province are you in? In Nova Scotia you can have 6 of mixed ages or 8 all schoolagef (goes up to 7 mixed or 9 school aged if with an agency), but that's per address, no increase with extra caregivers.

depends on what province you are in.

In Ontario if you are private you can only have 5 kids no matter how many adults there are.
    If you are licensed through an agency you can have only 6 kids no matter how many adults there are.

In Ontario; Private: no more then 5 daycare child between the ages of new born to 13yrs. Out of those 5 children no more then 2 children between the ages of new born to 23month. A providers own children 6yrs and older don't count in a providers numbers. A providers own children new born to 5yrs count in the providers numbers. There is an exception for a providers own children who are 4yrs and 5 yrs old and in a full time school program (publicly funded school only) and the provider only has one child between the ages of newborn and 23months in her care.

You can get more information on the Ontario Ministry of Education website.

Expansive...
    It helps to know what Province you are in - and then we can help you