Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Really struggling right now.

We have had a tough year at my house. My youngest has been struggling behaviourly at school, and I have kept my numbers low while we were figuring out the right placement for him. He is now a a fantastic school and his behaviours are improving.
    I am now iinteeviewing to fill my extra spots, but the parents come for the interview and I get the "We are just getting a feel of whats 9out there" or "we have many other places we are looking at." And never hear from them again.

I know I am a great provider and the kids who are here are very happy as are their parents, but I don't seem to be able to convey that in the interview. It's getting quite frustrating and discouraging.

What to you all do to help prepare for an interview?
    Last edited by monkeys; 05-11-2017 at 09:25 PM.

Expansive...
    Sometimes we get too excited when someone contacts us and we feel ready for an interview with them as we need to have a new person RIGHT NOW.
    Take a Deep and dive inas you will have to go for a few interviews before you find the family that fits with you and your daycare. it could be the hours , the days , the fees, and some people just like to look around at first and then to call back to say they will take your spot so hang in there and Good Luck

Outgoing
    Hi. I'm glad to hear your son's behaviour improvement.

To be honest you're not the only one in the situation of looking for clients. Since all changes happening in our field it is becoming harder to fill our spots, especially with all the negative media constantly attacking or denigrating homedaycares. And not only that try to visit the Ministry of education Web pages, most of this sites are negative towards us. Most parents are getting guided towards the licensed sector. I have also noticed that even "licensed homedaycares " are having difficulty filling their spots.

After many years of working in this field and always with a waiting list suddenly this year I got just one spot inquiry and I heard the same comment as you "we're just looking".

At this point I'm in process of looking other jobs because I know it will just get harder especially when the ministry of education have decided to open more centres.
    New parents have been sold the idea that a centre is "safe and offers quality care" and we all know this is far from the truth.

My advice to you is: to focus on refreshing your environment make sure your professional profile is up to date, parents are really looking into this information those days. Try to visit playgroups, parks, walks etc. Let the people see how is your interaction with children. Try to connect with people around your neighbourhood. I've heard a comment from a client; and said, that now a days it is better to know the person you trust your children than reading heavy loaded advertising about caregivers they've never seen before in action. My last clients thought so and they did not know me but they got references through their neighbours who've seen me visiting parks, walking, etc. Lately, I've been doing that, being outside and networking with new parents when I can.

Good luck in your family search and always think positive.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeys View Post
    What to you all do to help prepare for an interview?
    I weed them out before they come.

Phone interview first. Too many odd people to open house to random internet people who want a look without vetting.

Find out when they want care, if it FT or PT, what hours they need, if they working or just looking for job or still on mat leave. I not mind them seeing other places too but I not interest in interview people who want care down road when might not have space, or who just looking, or who want hours I not interested in.

Only when I sure they communicate openly, understand that I looking to fill space now or soon, they have job, do I offer interview. I not have time for people just come look if I do that, I not have free evening or weekend and be busy with this sort all time.