Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Are there space requirements?

Hello,

I am considering opening an unlicensed home daycare (Ontario) and have been doing a lot of research online but can anyone tell me if there are any space requirements? I know you need to have a separate cot/crib for each child for nap time but are there any actual square footage requirements?
    We live in a 4 bedroom ranch, no basement and I sometimes feel like our house may be too small. The kitchen/dining/living room is all open concept and that would probably be the main area for the daycare. We do have a good sized backyard with lots of toys and sandbox, etc. I guess the main thing I am wondering is if this would suffice? And if it would be okay to use one of my childrens bedrooms for nap time?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Outgoing
    Hi, if you're planing to open it on your own there isn't any space requirement, but obviously children need enough space for their activities. Just make sure the rooms used for the daycare in your home are childproof. Pay attention on the kitchen area (cabinets, stove, cleaning supplies, etc)

Go online a get more information about childproofing your house there are also lists. It is good you have a big back yard but, you also have to think that during winter you will stay indoors when the weather gets harsh. Visit pinterest and youtube, there are great ideas on how to organize or use storage for a daycare in a house.

About the sleeping space, because you're on your own there isn't any regulation but, agencies encourage children should sleep on the main floor and all together (using cots or playpans); that is also easy to arrange in your home or the bedroom you're planing to use for naps, this room should also be childproofed. Try to connect with other caregivers and if you're in Ottawa we also have Ccprn.com visit the website it will also help.

Outgoing
    "About the sleeping space, because you're on your own there isn't any regulation but, agencies encourage children should sleep on the main floor and all together (using cots or playpans);"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - do agencies and or parents prefer that children sleep in same room? Mine r in separate naps rooms upstairs with one monitor in hall. Tx

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by ebhappydc View Post
    "About the sleeping space, because you're on your own there isn't any regulation but, agencies encourage children should sleep on the main floor and all together (using cots or playpans);"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - do agencies and or parents prefer that children sleep in same room? Mine r in separate naps rooms upstairs with one monitor in hall. Tx
    Agencies prefer it for evacuations (like fire) they're together and easily accessible. I have children nap upstairs in 3 different rooms with a monitor in the hall, and my agency (in NS though) was ok with it as the minimum requirement was smoke detectors and a monitor. Parents definitely prefer separate rooms right now, as they were all waking each other before and being overtired and cranky for them at supper. I do plan to get them back in one room at some point... it's just not a priority.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kindredspirit For This Useful Post: