Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Termination letter help!

Never did I think this was going to be so hard to do.
    I have had this boy in my care now since he was 1 year old, he's now in grade 1. Have been through so much with this little guy but I'm at my wits end, instead of getting better as I thought he would as he matured, it has gone worse.
    I have spoken to the parents many many times about his behaviour issues and how it would be better if he came part time instead of full time, giving me a bit of a break, but both parents have very busy careers and God forbid if anything changes in their schedule.
    This is why I'm so scared to send them a termination letter, I don't know what their reaction is going to be.
    I gave them the option of going part time without result.
    I really hate doing this but it's gotten to the point that it's affecting the rest of my daycare children and the younger ones are starting to copy his behaviour. He's very disrespectful, he swears, he hits, he gets into moods and starts throwing things. I have tried everything with him. He gets bored very easily, although I keep him busy with crafts, Leggos, outside play etc... it always ends bad. I'm just tired, tired of giving him all my attention when I have 6 other kids to look after.
    Any advice on how to at least start the letter would be appreciated. I'm kinda stuck for words.

Euphoric !
    Dear xxxxxx

This letter is to inform you that due to ongoing behavioural issues I will no longer ha able to provide
    care for xxxx. The last day for available care will be xxxx. Please be advised that all fees are still required regardless of weather xxxx is in attendance.
    I wish you all the best in the future,
    Warmest regards xxxx

Keep it short and sweet.... keep to your contract with regards to termination notice ... if you require 2 weeks then give them two weeks notice and make sure you are paid. If you took a 2 week deposit to cover the last two weeks then hand them the notice on payday before you receive their fees so you don't have to return money .... if you didn't take a deposit for the last weeks fees then don't give them notice till you have received the final weeks pay or you likely won't see it. Talk to the family in person and print out the letter for their records ... just tell them you have made a very hard decision but you need to end care.. let them know that his behaviour is disruptive and the others are starting to copy him, you have exhausted all your strategies and feel that this is best for the group .... tell them there is a letter in their bag (or hand it to them) for their records.....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Keep it short and clear. Be direct, firm and quick. Don't complicate it by trying to make the letter nicer as it can make it sound like you are willing to be convinced otherwise.

It is more important to be direct and clear than to try and soften the message. In the end the message is you can't care for their child and you just can't sugar coat that enough to keep the parents happy about it.

Give you last date of care. Wish them the best moving forward. No apologies for not being able to to continue care. It is just a matter of fact situation and you are not to blame. But, don't blame them either.

Best of luck! It sounds like it is time to move on, you have yourself, your family and your other daycare children to think of and sometimes that just means having to stop caring for a specific child.

If they challenge you, are upset, promise to change etc just keep restating that as of X date you cannot provide care for their child.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I agree with the other posters. It is time to move this boy to another daycare as it sounds as if he may be bored and a change will do him good. It will be so nice for you to enjoy your work again. BE STRONG and GOOD LUCK

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Thank you so much for your replies! Helped so much! It's really appreciated.
    Will be talking to them tomorrow and handing over the letter.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy1212 View Post
    Never did I think this was going to be so hard to do.
    I have had this boy in my care now since he was 1 year old, he's now in grade 1. Have been through so much with this little guy but I'm at my wits end, instead of getting better as I thought he would as he matured, it has gone worse.
    I have spoken to the parents many many times about his behaviour issues and how it would be better if he came part time instead of full time, giving me a bit of a break, but both parents have very busy careers and God forbid if anything changes in their schedule.
    This is why I'm so scared to send them a termination letter, I don't know what their reaction is going to be.
    I gave them the option of going part time without result.
    I really hate doing this but it's gotten to the point that it's affecting the rest of my daycare children and the younger ones are starting to copy his behaviour. He's very disrespectful, he swears, he hits, he gets into moods and starts throwing things. I have tried everything with him. He gets bored very easily, although I keep him busy with crafts, Leggos, outside play etc... it always ends bad. I'm just tired, tired of giving him all my attention when I have 6 other kids to look after.
    Any advice on how to at least start the letter would be appreciated. I'm kinda stuck for words.
    Why is child in daycare full time if he's in school for GR. 1? Tx

Starting to feel at home...
    @lucy1212 I hope it goes well for you!

Expansive...
    So, Lucy1212, how'd it go? I hate doing those terminations!