Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

What would you do?

What would you do?
    A family with 2 kids that were supposed to start full time in July called to say she was offered a new job. So now they won't start until October and only part time. Then come January they would be full time. What would you do -charge a holding fee, let them go or.... suggestions would be helpful. I have already waited since March for them to start and kids are hard to find lately if I needed to replace.

Euphoric !
    Have they signed a contract? Unfortunately they have made an agreement with you, despite the job change they are responsible for fulfilling that commitment. So their options are to continue full time as of their original start or they forfeit their down payment and lose their spot in your daycare.

The only way I would waiver on this is if you are positive you cannot fill the space with other children and would be out more money than you will be waiting for them. Even then I would be letting them know that you will only be able to keep their space if you don't better fill it. Once you have another family lined up give this family one more chance to pay full price now for the spot.

Thank you Lee-Bee. Sometimes I get stuck between trying to be nice and doing what's best for me. Thanks for the reality check

Outgoing
    I think I would keep them only until I find a full time client, you've waited so long and then they keep asking for more flexibility and I won't be surprised that something else happen before January. I know it is getting hard for all of us filling our spots and I'm also certain that it won't get any better but, do your very best to advertise and offer your spots. Hopefully you can fill them up in no time. And you do not have to keep waiting for a family that might or might not commit 100% causing you to incurr in financial loss.

Euphoric !
    I wouldn't hold a July space until October and certainly not 2 spaces and for fewer days. I agree with Lee-Bee. They either come as contracted, in July, full time, or they change their mind, and lose their deposits and you start looking for alternative clients. Thankfully, you have a little more notice then normal so take advantage of that.

Expansive...
    I'd keep advertising/interviewing. A delayed start date and fewer days for 2 kids is alot to ask you to compromise. If you can't find a client to fill those spots, I'd make them pay a fairly steep part-time rate. Keep looking for other people to fill the spot. Certainly not what you agreed to originally.