Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Childcare announcement - Patrick Brown - ICP care

Patrick Brown is making a public statement in 25 mins about the Liberal MOE press conference today, their stance and ICP care.

http://globalnews.ca/radio/640toront...&cmpid=other#/

Euphoric !
    Full Global News post including Liberal Childcare Announcement, Patrick Brown's statement (John Oakley Show), Global News segment, Indira Naidoo-Harris statement (John Oakley Show)

http://globalnews.ca/news/3506384/on...d-care-spaces/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Am I reading that to say that it will be free for all home daycares to become licensed? Does that mean they can be licensed and NOT have their daily fees set by the agency and NOT have to pay a chunk to the agency?

Outgoing
    Exactly. The agencies where asking for a "base funding" to do this and they got granted. The government will pay to them a fee to license us. I think that is a smart move instead investing millions on creating centres that later on cost much more to run them.

With this announcement, I'm sure there will be many caregivers thinking and motivated on joining them. They are increasing subsidies and this also means that being licensed we will have access to these families.

But, so far I have not heard when exactly this will happen, they said in a term of five years (I'm sure this is also conditioned if they get elected again). It is sad to say but it seems it is part of a political manipulation.

In regrads of your fees question, it really depends currently tly the city sets the rates for agencies ex: $43 to $45 to parents. If they're advocating and supporting the idea of affordability then it means they will still keep rates controlled.

But, the difference will be that from $43 or $45 non for profit agencies will pay that amountil directly to the providers. Which seems positive because agencies used to get their cut and pay the provider $33 to $35.

I'm pretty sure will be a difference, if you get clients with subsidies then you must respect the standardized fees if you get clients privately then most likely you'll be able to apply your own fees. And also don't forget with the licensing you'll be allowed to have six spots.

My only doubt comes when the ministry is leaving us vulnerable on the hands of third institutions (which I'm sure they will use the money to increase more desk workers rather than using that money to license us directly and passing the savings onto parents) As we all know, desk workers require benefits. And I absolutely doubt that, that will make any difference in delivering quality programs that we already deliver without anyone telling us to do so, and we do it for professionalism.

And I'm sure that agencies will take that credit from us. From our hard work supporting parents and their children.

Euphoric !
    I think it's important to remember that not all agencies are created equal. For me and about 70% of other providers, autonomy is as important, if not more so, than money. I can't bear the thought of handing the reins of my business over to a third party agency where arbitrary rules can be put in place at their discretion. One of our execs was chatting with a home visitor/friend last night and even MORE restrictions are coming down the pipe....some were as silly as no canned beans of any kind, no sausage, ham, lunch meat, etc, etc, etc....now those are recommendations at this time, but I'm sure will be that agency's policy before long. We heard from one provider who was told she had to measure children's heads to be sure they couldn't fit in the sand buckets. I find the hoops a little ridiculous, not to mention the fact that I have built my business on my own. I want to make my hours, enforce my contract, set my fees and policies and maintain my client relations unencumbered by a third party who has no understanding of MY business practice and who is, basically, a paper pusher. I'm holding out for another year and/or independent licensing or whatever other changes may come during an election year.

CICPO is having a 'call to action' today. I can post in here and I hope folks participate. We're putting out letter templates for both parents and ICPs to either email or send by free paper mail to Patrick Brown. The PCs are the official opposition and responsible for holding the Liberals' feet to the fire....we are tapping in to their resources. The Opposition needs to hear public outcry then they'll get the ball rolling. There is still a lot of potential for change over the next year. CICPO has created a viable model that will be very appealing to everyone involved, with little to no cost to taxpayers, provides appropriate oversight while preserving our autonomy. THAT'S what we're striving for, but we really need as many people as possible to let it be known that we want to preserve our sector.

I am on board with cfred, Is it not our business that we have built up from the ground, our names on the line. Why would we give someone else control of how we run it. I do not want an outsider telling me how to run my daycare, when they in turn may have no idea what the needs of my area, my own family or clients needs are. We all have our business for different reasons but we love what we do otherwise why would we do it.

Expansive...
    It's all rediculous! Even if you get low cost/free licensing for independent providers, good luck finding homeowners insurance that will cover you for 6 kids plus your own(Ontario), and if you do find it, you'll pay handsomely! There's always a catch with "FREE"

Euphoric !
    I've heard from a number of people that if you run through an agency, you have to get commercial insurance, which is quite costly. Don't quote me on it, but this is what I've heard. Will have to confirm. And of course waiving the fees doesn't address the parity in fees. My fees are actually $5/day higher than the agency fees in my area. That's a pretty big hit as well which will definitely affect the quality of my meals, supplies, etc. CICPO is making it very clear the the MOE that waiving the licensing fees isn't nearly enough to convince the majority of us to affiliate. They've addressed fees, that's it. There are plenty of other reasons we're not interested in working under someone else's license.

A registry still may happen, independent of the MOE. Heidi and I have just begun meetings with the co-founder of cubbyspot.com with an eye to a provincial registry.
    Last edited by cfred; 06-14-2017 at 10:18 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Speaking about insurance, cfred you're right. But yesterday at a meeting, a preoccupied mom told me that it is hard to find insurance specially having 5 children in her care and she also has a daughter under 6 years old. The insurance included her daughter and sent her a letter that the new cost is $77 a month, for the coverage insurance of six children.