Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

ONT ICPs - Call To Action

Posted this morning on FB -

"Providers it's obvious by this latest round of child care announcements that the Liberals are still not listening.

The funding they have announced looks rosy but it's unsustainable, we'll be right back here when the money runs out. The Liberals are trying desperately to win votes by spreading around money that Ontario doesn't have. It's time for us to take matters into our own hands again.

We've all heard the old adage "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" well..the PC government is gaining momentum and popularity, we need to tap into that. The Progressive Conservatives are the official opposition in the legislature. Patrick Brown, the party leader is also the education critic, if we help him see our side of things he will have ammunition to hold the Libs accountable.
    We need to let him know how important the child care issue is going to become in this next year before the election. This is what we’re up against:
    “Child care advocates" (read licensed sector advocates) have the Liberals ear, these are the same people who advocate for independent providers to only be allowed to care for 3 children, including their own under 6. https://www.thestar.com/…/advocates-...icensing-of-h…
    The MOE has written regulations in the CCEYA absolving themselves of all responsibility if they fail at their jobs.

They have mandated that ICPs disclose their independence to disavow us.
    They have revoked the clause excluding a provider’s own school aged child - which they can enforce at the drop of a hat, without notice.
    They have allowed themselves to be cowed by the SMALLEST contingent of the child care industry.

Most of these advocates are people working with paper, in offices, doing research. While research is valuable, we are in the trenches, dealing with the day-to-day of parental needs. We know what parents are looking for in our cities, towns and rural communities.

We need to share that knowledge with someone who can DO something to affect the changes needed to make child care work effectively for Ontario.
    Please take a moment to send Patrick Brown an email or postage free paper letter sharing your concerns. If you're not sure what to say CICPO has a letter template that you can use."

The letter templates for both Providers and Parents are below. This will only take a couple minutes and will spur things on. We have been advised from the PC policy advisors and Gila Martow (MPP and Critic for Youth, Children, Families) that this is the appropriate course of action to substantiate their support of our sector and move things along.

Please email to the following -

patrick.brownco@pc.o la.org

gila.martow@pc.ola.o rg

Cicpoottawa@gmail.co m (we're keeping track of submissions)

Please note that participating in this does NOT come with the expectation of a PC vote in the next election. This is a means to have our sector brought to the forefront again by people with the power to do it.

Euphoric !
    Letter template for ICPs

To Whom it may concern;

I am an independent home childcare provider in Ontario with 5 invaluable daycare spots within my community. I am discouraged and frustrated with the announcement by the Ontario Liberals on June 6 2017 pledging $1.6 billion dollars into 45000 new childcare spaces.

I would like to see the government support the most popular, diverse, and inexpensive form of childcare in our province, independent childcare, rather than putting valuable tax payer money into a system we already know is broken. I want to see the government license independent childcare providers, and utlilize existing spaces that are self-sustaining and accessible, instead of sinking money into a system that doesn’t recognise these gems within our communities. We need to license independent providers, who open our homes and our hearts to providing quality care to children in a family environment, without having them sacrifice our autonomy and entrepreneurship.

I hope I can count on you to advocate for your constituents.

Thank you for your time,

Euphoric !
    Version #2 of ICP template (choose either one)

To Whom it may concern;

I am a legally unlicensed independent home daycare provider in __________, Ontario, and have been offering (5) valuable child care spaces to my community for the past __ years.
    I have my CPR and first aid, insurance, and a professional contract for care. I offer lower ratios and rates than daycare centres, in a safe and loving home environment. I provide high quality meals and snacks, an age appropriate program for the children, and the continuity of one emotionally connected provider throughout a child’s stay. Parents search out my program as a first choice in their child care options.

Despite independent home daycare being the most popular, inexpensive, and diverse form of childcare in our province, it is still recovering from the loss of daycare spaces due to the restrictions contained within the CCEYA, and further constraints will render these essential, entrepreneurial businesses unviable.

This Government continues to spend billions of dollars to reinvent an unmendable wheel rather than acknowledge, license, and utilize the existing, self-sustaining and highly accessible independent sector of child care. We need a new model of childcare in Ontario to provide quality independent licensing of providers at low to no cost to taxpayers, rather than sinking billions into a system that is not sustainable, nor does it support the 70 000 independent providers who comprise the majority of childcare spots within our province.

We need to maintain choice in child care! Please take a stand, on our behalf, to ensure that independent home child care remains viable for parents and providers both by not forcing us into a model that will limit our capacity to deliver affordable, enriched care.

Sincerely

Euphoric !
    Parent letter template

To Whom It May Concern,

I am a parent in ______, Ontario, Canada who has ___ children in a legally unlicensed daycare program. My provider has CPR, First Aid, insurance, and provides a quality program with learning opportunities and a real food diet. My first choice in childcare was a legally unlicensed home provider; an entrepreneur in her community and invested business owner, who provides continuity of care and a loving environment for my child.

My preference going forward would be to utilize a licensed provider who has autonomy over her business, which would be best done by creating a new model of childcare that provides licensing of self sustained, independent daycares at low to no cost to taxpayers. Rather than spending billions of dollars to reinvent an unmendable wheel, I would like to see this government acknowledge, license, and utilize the existing, self supporting, and highly accessible independent sector of childcare. Such a model would be my first choice, as a parent with children already in the daycare system.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Outgoing
    Thank you so much Cfred.

Euphoric !
    You're welcome