Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Fussy baby suggestions needed please

Hi! I had a new 1 yr old start back in April. She had a lot of difficulty transitioning initially which I anticipated but I'm kind of feeling like I need a new set of eyes now that she's been here for 2 months. She is not comforted by much. Mom says that at home she is a generally happy baby but here at daycare she is crying/upset 75% of the day. She truthfully wants to be held all day and even in the past weeks I have sat next to her for floor activities and she is able to get engaged but ultimately as soon as I stand up to assist another child or tend to something else, she starts to cry again. I feel like I am out of ideas as to how to get her comfortable as I've never dealt with a child that is sad so much of the day. We play, we cuddle, the other kids are all off when she cries so much amd I am lucky in that I have a small group (one other 1 yr old and two 4 yr olds).

I do know that at home she is nursed for comfort and to be put to sleep. If her mom is working and grandma is caring for her then she is held and rocked to sleep. Obviously I cannot nurse her to comfort her or rock her/hold her all day.
    I did go over a lot of details when they enrolled her as well as shortly before she began about helping to set their child up for success at daycare (helping to self-soothe, etc.) but obviously seeing as mom is still nursing multiple times a day and then she is dropped off here at daycare cold turkey, I'm kind of at a loss.

I have been letting the parents know when she has a difficult day, but how honest do you REALLY be? I think her mom would be heartbroken if she knew her child cried so much while here (her mom too cried when dropping her off for weeks). And I do try to help her but I'm starting to feel useless. Lol

So I guess my question is, what would you do?
    Last edited by chenderson; 06-16-2017 at 01:23 PM.

Outgoing
    Let mom know that if she works with you instead of doing the opposite, her daughter will enjoy her days much more (eventually) than ongoing stress of insecurity. Mom cannot make up for her daughter's unhappiness by over-attached parenting evenings and weekends. It also depends on child's natural disposition tho. I've got a newbie here too - comfortable within a week even tho mom at home can't stand to let him cry. Here caught on that I'm good to him, but don't cater. I've had plenty of newbs that don't get it. Good luck. Be patient with the little tyke.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ebhappydc For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Poor baby, as you've mention that mom still nurses her, can you ask her to leave her milk. Also, any blanket or comfort toy helps at times, ask her mom to bring it. Babies are very sensorial any smell, taste or something they touch can comfort them. Sometimes their favorite food helps them too (ex.cherrios or what ever she likes at home).

I also recommend to moms that there is not doubt they have a Conecction (mom/baby); if mom leaves sad she's definitely passing this sadness and anxiety to the baby. Some baby's feel this more than others.

I've also tried with success running tap water through the babies hands and it helped to distract and come down. Observe an see what she enjoys most in your home, so you can create a comfort corner for her. (I know the inconvenience of all this, but, we also know it won't last too long).

Also, I've asked pictures of mom or dad and it also helped.

In cases like this, I first target to keep happy the baby and everyone else is happy, once the baby is used to the environment (including the group and i); then we start little by little with group routines.

Good luck, all my feelings go to you, I know how hard it is when we have unhappy babies.
    Last edited by Peacefulbird; 06-19-2017 at 12:23 PM.

Euphoric !
    I would suggest a conversation with mom to find out if she is carrying the child all the time ... let mom know that with xx other children you can't hold her all day and that she needs to learn to play independently and she needs to work on that at home as well .. I would suggest to mom to nurse the child for nourishment only not for comfort or to go to sleep as that makes it hard at daycare since you can't do that ... tell her thatbwirh her help at home it will make the child's days much happier .. aside from that if there is no improvement I'm 2 months with a full time child .... yikes ... I'd replace if the parent is hindering progress

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post: