Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Expansive...
    I prescreen with a phone interview first(about 20-30 minutes long) and ask where they are in their search at this point. I also ask if they are on waiting lists for a centre, and how many centres, as it gives me an indicator that they might leave after a few months. If they are only in the beginning stages of the search, I ask them to read my website/policies etc, and come for a visit after they have done many visits elsewhere. I know it sounds wierd, but I don't want to waste my time. I know I provide a quality care environment, and I only want to see them when they are serious. I might lose customers with this approach, who knows, but i haven't had one walk away in over 2.5 years. Most hand me a deposit the night of the interview, or within 24 hrs. Nothing is guaranteed until a deposit/contract are in hand, so I keep interviewing, and don't dwell on what might have been.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    I wonder Dodge is it okay to call the parents to check with them if they still need daycare?
    No harm calling them!
    I know it is not harm. But also it can give them a message of desesperation; which works negatively in your end. Just forget about this family and carry on. If they come back great if not then you've at least haven't invested more of your valuable time. NEXT.

Outgoing
    I'm experiencing same bad dates this past week or two. I don't follow up. If they want to proceed, they will. I've signed up parents who took weeks to decide and risked losing spot. It's a slow game at times. And others I've had sign up immediately at first interview. I don't blame the ones that take forever - it's a tough decision leaving a child with basically a stranger.
    I find September spots almost harder than other months to fill as there's so many openings at centres etc. Apparently the family that interviewed yesterday are dropping deposit off this week. I'll see. I keep advertising till it clears the bank and signed contract in my hands.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacefulbird View Post
    I know it is not harm. But also it can give them a message of desesperation; which works negatively in your end. Just forget about this family and carry on. If they come back great if not then you've at least haven't invested more of your valuable time. NEXT.
    yeah - it is better to move on , and just put it down to live and learn

Starting to feel at home...
    *facepalm* and sometimes it's my fault! I was contacted today by the family I've been waiting on-they were still waiting on me to send a revised contract (to add a clause about vacation discount). Yikes, hopefully they don't think poorly of me, glad they asked and still want the spot!

Shy
    (I noticed the new generation now used a lot facebook or Google searches. And it seems easy to post online a handbook so at least when they come they have already read it.)

I noticed that too.I would send them my web site and that way expect them to read it and find everything they need to know about me and my day care.Also to cut the time during their first interviews.This way we would focus on seeing each other personally already knowing whatever is important,and they could ask any questions based on the web site or if they are concerned about something in the content of the web site.Most of the people are fine with everything,some read,some don't even ask many questions even if they did not read it through.The most important questions I ask and answer for them ,so we don't have any confusions later
    (Though,sometimes they forget the rules later anyway)
    Some parents,and that is how I know they are not going to be good candidates,like to ask all the questions that are already in my hand book with answers..I feel like they think that I just copy and pasted all the content and made the hand book based on somebody else's ideas) It feels so weird,like they are testing my honesty?! Those people never chose to bring their child,and I was always grateful for that..less stress in the future for sure.
    I also had some parents who would look at me like they are trying to get into my brain while I speak and find something hidden or catch me lying or something
    Ahh,all the fun stuff we go through having this business
    Last edited by Rose1; 07-10-2017 at 12:01 PM.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by kindredspirit View Post
    *facepalm* and sometimes it's my fault! I was contacted today by the family I've been waiting on-they were still waiting on me to send a revised contract (to add a clause about vacation discount). Yikes, hopefully they don't think poorly of me, glad they asked and still want the spot!
    LOL that is funny , we are just human after all, I am glad they got back to you and are taking the spot

Euphoric !
    Lay out expectations clearer.

1. Pre-screen with phone interview and check that their hours, location, start date, discipline views, all in line with yours before you meet face to face to save everyone wasted time.

2. After pre-screen, if you really want them, if they meet all your criteria, if their need for care lines up with your vacancy, invite for interview.

3. Be really clear at interview that you will not allocate a space to them without a signed contract and deposit - plus anything else you need.

4. At the end of the interview, wrap up with a clear dealine - for you to offer the space if that's how you work, or with them to decide if that's how you work.

5. Once they leave, follow up with e-mail "Thank you for coming out to meet me today. My final interview for potential clients for this space is Sunday morning, and I will be letting everyone know within 48 hours. If in the meantime you decide to sign up with another provider, please drop me a line and let me know so I can remove you from the list. Thanks."