Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just plain odd, not judging.

In your opinion, have parents just lost the ability to tell you what's really going on in regards to the daycare selection process? The reason I ask, is I thought I was pretty good at reading people; and lately, I can't bank on my thoughts anymore in some instances...

I had one mom show up and rant and rave about how she loved my handbook and contract, that she would be checking my references and talking with her husband and it would be a go.....

She has ignored my 2 attempts to contact her... I haven't heard from her since. No, I don't normally chase people but she seemed so pleased, and she said "I'll be in touch to take the final steps"

ETA: I choose clients, just as much as they are choosing me and I have "rejected those" I don't feel are a good fit who wanted to come, but as I said, lately people are just confusing.

Outgoing
    OMG. I just mentioned the same thought to a friend. I think I'm getting old and the new generation has a different kind of childcare visions or philosophies. Perhaps sometimes wrong but, I cannot get it. It used to be easier, now it really takes time to explain and leave it all on the table before they move on and choose a centre.
    Last edited by Peacefulbird; 06-23-2017 at 04:43 AM.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by dodge__driver11 View Post
    In your opinion, have parents just lost the ability to tell you what's really going on in regards to the daycare selection process? The reason I ask, is I thought I was pretty good at reading people; and lately, I can't bank on my thoughts anymore in some instances...

I had one mom show up and rant and rave about how she loved my handbook and contract, that she would be checking my references and talking with her husband and it would be a go.....

She has ignored my 2 attempts to contact her... I haven't heard from her since. No, I don't normally chase people but she seemed so pleased, and she said "I'll be in touch to take the final steps"

ETA: I choose clients, just as much as they are choosing me and I have "rejected those" I don't feel are a good fit who wanted to come, but as I said, lately people are just confusing.
    Just a thought but maybe the generation raised on endless "good job"'s regardless of how little effort they put and how much they sucked is the generation that walks around praising everyone without meaning it at all. If you are raised on endless empty praise maybe you just instinctively praise people on everything.

This is in NO WAY saying you don't deserve all that praise, just pointing out that some people gush on and on face to face then walk away and don't look back. I can't help but wonder if this is potentially why.

Quote Originally Posted by Peacefulbird View Post
    OMG. I just mentioned the same tough to a friend. I think I'm getting old and the new generation has a different kind of childcare visions or philosophies. Perhaps sometimes wrong but, I cannot get it. It used to be easier, now it really takes time to explain and leave it all on the table before they move on and choose a centre.
    I just don't get it. Just say it...All together now...."I. Have. Chosen. Another. Daycare."

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post
    Just a thought but maybe the generation raised on endless "good job"'s regardless of how little effort they put and how much they sucked is the generation that walks around praising everyone without meaning it at all. If you are raised on endless empty praise maybe you just instinctively praise people on everything.

This is in NO WAY saying you don't deserve all that praise, just pointing out that some people gush on and on face to face then walk away and don't look back. I can't help but wonder if this is potentially why.
    It was just weird. You answer is possible.

Starting to feel at home...
    I've also encountered some families who drag out the whole process (one right now in fact, contacted me the same day after the interview to say they want the spot and will bring a deposit... almost 2 weeks ago!) It's a Sept spot, so maybe they feel no urgency. My other thought is that maybe people want to cover their butt by having the spot held while they continue to interview at other daycares. The last 2 families that took weeks to get paperwork/deposit in order turned out to be awesome families that were just busy and not prioritizing it because it was well ahead of the start date.

Outgoing
    One friendly question I always ask is; how many homes have you visited? When their answer is you're the first or third; I just tell them to take all the information they want an to keep searching and only contact me when they're really sure if my services suit their needs. (No comitments from my side and no comitments from their side either; no false expectations, or I do not feel used for just keep a spot in case they do not find another that suits them better) I actually encourage them to keep visiting homes and also centres; because, only seeing the rest they will feel that they've made the best decision that suits their needs.

I do not have a big hand book, just 4 pages of my contract explaining all the necessary. It worked best in my case.

I noticed the new generation now used a lot facebook or Google searches. And it seems easy to post online a handbook so at least when they come they have already read it. (I still trying to figure it out; if that would help easing my interviews and also the decision making process). I'm also not sure if that would help, it is a new generation and I forgot to keep up with it. My computer skills are poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Peacefulbird View Post
    One friendly question I always ask is; how many homes have you visited? When their answer is you're the first or third; I just tell them to take all the information they want an to keep searching and only contact me when they're really sure if my services suit their needs. (No comitments from my side and no comitments from their side either; no false expectations, or I do not feel used for just keep a spot in case they do not find another that suits them better) I actually encourage them to keep visiting homes and also centres; because, only seeing the rest they will feel that they've made the best decision that suits their needs.

I do not have a big hand book, just 4 pages of my contract explaining all the necessary. It worked best in my case.

I noticed the new generation now used a lot facebook or Google searches. And it seems easy to post online a handbook so at least when they come they have already read it. (I still trying to figure it out; if that would help easing my interviews and also the decision making process). I'm also not sure if that would help, it is a new generation and I forgot to keep up with it. My computer skills are poor.
    I take the same approach as you peaceful, but I am just wondering why the time would be taken to "lead someone on." It's like a bad date er something I mean, why not just say "you seem super but I don't want to put all my eggs into one basket so, I am going to keep my options open"

As to the handbook thing, I email mine out prior to an in person meeting, I try not to waste my time with people who are just "daycare surfing" and bring in those who are truly serious; But even this tactic is failing me. So I am unsure of how to further streamline this process.

Expansive...
    We just have to remind ourselves that the spot is not taken till the deposit is paid and it does not matter what nice things they say to us while visiting the daycare and just say NEXT .....

Expansive...
    I wonder Dodge is it okay to call the parents to check with them if they still need daycare?
    No harm calling them!