Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Conduct during Red Flag Intrrview

How do you conduct yourself during an obvious red flag interview?
    The one where you get a bad feeling after about 5 minutes? the child bounces of the walls screaming , dumping everything in sight and has 3 meltdowns with parent within 15 minutes? And parents stands by sighing "kids....". ... They are switching daycares as current provider isn't nice to child.... So do u speed things along and end interview? Tell them on spot not a good fit?
    I kinda went through motions as they kept asking questions.I tried to wrap it up and I made child clean up but they kept staying., But was waste of time. How u handle? TX!

Starting to feel at home...
    I've had a few of those interview, but one was the worst! Both kids running up and down to my family's bedrooms, terrorizing our cat, jumping on our couch. I couldn't even get through one sentence without having to tell them to stop, and mom and dad didn't do anything! I thought I was in the Twilight Zone, lol!

Anyways, I quickly went through the main points, walked towards the door and said it was nice to meet you and told them I would get back to them. Then that evening, I emailed and told them they were not a good fit for my daycare.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mattsmom For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Ah yes, I think we've all had one of those interviews! I had one where the parent left me in the playroom with her kids, and proceeded to march herself through the rest of my house without my permission, including my bedrooms without me present. It all would have been included in my tour, but hadn't gotten to the rest of the house yet. Needless to say I wrapped it up quick, and sent the email an hour after they left saying it wasn't a good fit!
    I had another parent try and trick me into saying that I met up with other providers at the park regularly. That wasn't the case, so I said no, and then she revealed that she was trying to get me to say yes, to reveal bad supervision if I was with other providers and not watching the kids properly due to socializing. I just shook my head. Manipulation... Again, wrapped it up quick, and sent email saying it wasn't a good fit. The funny part in both of these instances, is that it had nothing to do with the children being a good fit, it was the parents that were the red flag lol!
    Another one was a preschool child who obviously had many delays, and the parents confirmed it(from doctor) and when I asked about what services they were using in the community, they said none, and that they didn't feel he needed help. That red flagged me right there. I knew I couldn't work with parents that weren't willing to get help for their child. Such a shame...
    Or the parents that tell you there schedule over the phone interview of what hours they need, and then come in and tell you they lied to get a tour, and they want you to open 1/2 an hour earlier than your posted time.. and then don't understand why they can't have the spot!! You lied, that's why!!! As you see, most of mine are about red flag parents!!! Be polite, go through your tour super quick, and send the not a good fit email right after, that's all we can do.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy ECE mommy For This Useful Post:

I usually speed things up. If they say they need care outside of my hours or some other request I don't do I tell them no and then state since you need XXX and I don't provider that, then basically end the interview. I have just flat out told a family to leave as I will not be taking their child due to behaviour issues. they where not happy about it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I had a mom and nearly 1 yr old come. I usually always have both parents but allowed just mom to come for first visit.

They were great, mom was great, child was great. Then her phone rang. She answered while i sat beside playing with her child.

It was dad, he was LIVID that she had left the house. He was screaming, I could feel the rage. I just pretended I didn't hear anything, let her wrap it up and let her know I had a few other families coming and would be in touch.

I had to let her know I took on a different family. I could NOT allow that man in my home, near my child and other daycare children. This was 3 years ago and I swear I can still feel the rage in his voice. I think back now and realize I likely should have asked if she needed help, versus allowing her to save face by pretending I didn't hear anything.

This is why I would never sign on a family without meeting both parents in person, so I at least have a chance to try and gauge their character in person.

As for your question, odds are I would do as you did but I know I SHOULD just send them out the door instantly when they are acting like that. But it is awkward when first meeting as we are clearly judging. But, we need to. We spend so much time with these children and families.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I like to be nice during the interview but I know that I will NOT be taking on that family. Now you know why the child is switching daycares as the other caregiver may have had enough of the child's bad behavior and told the family to find another daycare.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I stay nice and professional (they might have a normal friend to send my way one day, or the infant could one day attend my preschool program), but I do shorten the tour, and I don't ask further questions of them (just answer their questions). Then I tell them at the end it was nice to meet them and I'll be in touch. I message shortly after, either saying I feel a centre would be a better fit, or that I can't accommodate xyz that they need. If it was an interview for waitlist, I just say I'll contact them if a space opens for them (it never will, but I hate to burn bridges just in case... small town).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kindredspirit For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by kindredspirit View Post
    I stay nice and professional (they might have a normal friend to send my way one day, or the infant could one day attend my preschool program), but I do shorten the tour, and I don't ask further questions of them (just answer their questions). Then I tell them at the end it was nice to meet them and I'll be in touch. I message shortly after, either saying I feel a centre would be a better fit, or that I can't accommodate xyz that they need. If it was an interview for waitlist, I just say I'll contact them if a space opens for them (it never will, but I hate to burn bridges just in case... small town).
    Never thought of keeping positive lines open Incase friend or neighbour may need care.... good point