Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Should I be worried!!

Good Afternoon,

Sorry I need to express my worries, but this year has being so slow in my business and I have being running it for 10 years, but now I find it hard to fill spots and I don't want to make the decision to close my business, should I wait, or what can I do?
    at the beginning of the year, I had to let a part time family go, because the little girl couldn't adapt to a small group daycare she has severe separation anxiety the mom didn't take it well, and made a fuss anyway I got over it and since then I haven't had any more calls or interviews and the one who called showed no interested at all at the end. I'll be having only one child this july/august and I'm concerned that when the parent finds out, the child will be the only one that she might pull him out, I have being advertising a lot, I'm thinking its maybe summer and people will look later in Sept, other people tell me to take the time to relax because I have being working so hard, but I'm not use too, and I feel weird if I'm not working, I need an income to provide if I don't make income I feel bad that I'm not helping my family financially, is it normal what am going through? is it hard to fill spots now a days. what do you think? please help!! thanks.
    Last edited by littlefish; 06-28-2017 at 03:07 PM.

Euphoric !
    Have you tried (it might be too late now) advertising for just summer care? Get a couple school age children in for just July and August to help bring in some income while you look to fill the spots for Sept onwards?

As for the one child...you need to sell the idea to them. At no point in time mention how you have been trying and no one is interested etc. Just sell the idea. How does this benefit their child? More trips to the park, more picnics, bigger outings. Time in the kiddie pool etc. Just tell them how much you are looking forward to having one on one time with the child, how they can lead your activities etc etc.

That said, working for just one child is often more work (no playmates) and it is less pay.

Oh, you could also advertise to take children just short term while their caregiver is on vacation. Many caregivers take summer holidays and many families still need care so you can look to bring in a bit of money that way.

Get creative with your advertising, it won't bring in long term income but it can bring in some money and change it up for you and your daycare child this summer.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
    Good Afternoon,

Sorry I need to express my worries, but this year has being so slow in my business and I have being running it for 10 years, but now I find it hard to fill spots and I don't want to make the decision to close my business, should I wait, or what can I do?
    at the beginning of the year, I had to let a part time family go, because the little girl couldn't adapt to a small group daycare she has severe separation anxiety the mom didn't take it well, and made a fuss anyway I got over it and since then I haven't had any more calls or interviews and the one who called showed no interested at all at the end. I'll be having only one child this july/august and I'm concerned that when the parent finds out, the child will be the only one that she might pull him out, I have being advertising a lot, I'm thinking its maybe summer and people will look later in Sept, other people tell me to take the time to relax because I have being working so hard, but I'm not use too, and I feel weird if I'm not working, I need an income to provide if I don't make income I feel bad that I'm not helping my family financially, is it normal what am going through? is it hard to fill spots now a days. what do you think? please help!! thanks.
    I really wish I could say, do not worry they will come. But, I think as the Ministry of Education announced they have been opening many more centres and it is affecting us, specially in my neighbourhood. I have also seen caregivers lowering their rates and others thinking to close. I'm in the same predicament, I'm full now but I'm losing children in September and next year goes the other half of my group. At this point I'm thinking to close and look for something else rather than lowering my rates or competing in a saturated market, which honestly doesn't look promising especially with the latest announcement of the Ministry of Education. They're approving the increase of subsidies and more support to the licensed sector. Also there is a lot changes happening in the centres and their approach to parents.

Since the media keeps giving us such a bad publicity it has been hard.

Maybe you can offer casual or part time service, or also maybe agencies can now help by placing children with subsidies. If you really need an income then call them and ask if they have clients interested in placing their children in your home.

But, licensing is quite a process. I've already looked into it.

I'm not sure if you're in Ontario but if you are, support the Cicpo group, they're fighting for our rights.
    Last edited by Peacefulbird; 06-29-2017 at 07:02 AM.

Starting to feel at home...
    I don't know what area you are in, but it is getting tough. One home in my provider group just closed, she's going to work in an after school program. She had been doing school aged care, and a new program opened here for school aged that took in huge volumes-eliminated wait lists. If you can't beat them, join them, she figured.

I have a Montessori program, and we also raise/grow a lot of our own meat/veggies, so I'm able to get families looking for 'something different', and I'm full with a waitlist.. Maybe take a step back and look at your advertising. Does it showcase your strengths? Is it different from other ads? Do you have some great photos to use? Social media presence?

Expansive...
    put ads in daycare bear and also in Craig's list and I think you are in BC so there is a new website on facebook called vancouver BC givers and seekers , here is a link
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/342595632570051/
    also it is a good idea to set up a website if you haven't got one put the ad as spot available now
    and you never know who will contact you -GOOD LUCK

Euphoric !
    It does slow in Summer. And it always does pick up mid-August for Sept starts. That not help with your concerns about solo child in July and August.

If you worried about that client's reaction to only being one child, then address it head on. This is time for you to consider who to reassure parent about that situation.

Think about things that only having one child give you freedom to do. Can you add day care cover to your car for these couple month only and if you can, would these parent be okay with child traveling in your car to field trips that when you have larger group, couldn't happen? Some parent totally against it but others might think this is great for a while - attention of a nanny for fees of group care.

Reassure parent that you are actively seeking new children but this is typically slow time of year as most do have summer care already arranged - then they know that this is short term situation only ..

Think about how and where you advertise. If you have passing traffic, put up a lawn sign. If your local bylaw not allow that, then get a car magnet and position your car on drive so passing traffic can see you have spaces. Can you put flyers in summer camp locations? Or in local play area, clay cafes, trampoline park - place where families go especially in summer time.

Use small group to your advantage and make sure any social media advertising mentions you are a small group to promote more individual attention.

What is unique about your dayhome? Do you offer something that other provider in your area don't? Maybe you screen free, maybe you provide meals which not common near you, maybe you are ECE qualified, maybe you used to be a Elementary School teacher, maybe you have large garden fully dedicated to daycare and your competition doesn't. There likely something different about your program if you think about it.

Euphoric !
    I find summer a lot slower too. It's not uncommon. I've been concerned for the future as well, but am still hopeful too. The next election will really set the stage for us. I'm holding out till then before I start sorting out my exit plan. If the PCs win (which is not an unrealistic idea), things will be quite different. I can say that CICPO is still working with the opposition seeking changes for our sector and they continue to be very supportive of ICPs. The registry is underway and things are progressing. I'm really excited for a change and think it's going to be a good year for us, following the election. Hang in there, if you can