Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Curriculum

Hybrid View

Shy

Curriculum

Does anyone buy a monthly prepackaged curriculum? I've been doing my own for about two years now. I look on Pinterest for ideas and themes. I do have a lot of made up themes. I haven't figured out the cost for all the printing and sometimes laminating that I have done. Being from a small town I find sometimes it's a lot of work to find what I need for crafts or things for sensory bins and my centers. Sometimes I can't find what I want or need at all. The ideas of having a monthly curriculum send to me with everything sounds wonderful! Funshine Express was one I was looking at. Mother Goose Time was another but seems costly. Any feedback would be great!

Outgoing
    Try hipporay my friends like it, it is about $50 to 60 a month depending on the number of children you have. I would absolutely use it if, I wasn't a montessori follower. But also if it is pricey you can order for a year and have the themes to repeat every year.

Expansive...
    I think it is better to keep all the themes you did for the last 2 years and also keep a copy of the art and work sheet for the next year to copy as $60 a month is still a lot of money. if you haven't kept a copy then just start now and less work and money next year.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    I think it is better to keep all the themes you did for the last 2 years and also keep a copy of the art and work sheet for the next year to copy as $60 a month is still a lot of money. if you haven't kept a copy then just start now and less work and money next year.
    I agree.. $60 is quite something. This is an absolutely brilliant approach to it! So many brains in this forum. I love it!

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    How do you organize keeping copies of everything? File folders ? I thought about taking a photo of each craft / art and having album or an online file folder.. What does everyone do? TX!

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by ebhappydc View Post
    How do you organize keeping copies of everything? File folders ? I thought about taking a photo of each craft / art and having album or an online file folder.. What does everyone do? TX!
    I have 5 boxes stored in my nap room on shelves hidden away from the kids with my themes for the whole year and I just take out the one I am working on and I have copies of my art for each item to do with the theme like right now we are doing Ocean life and lots of art ideas , sharks, whales etc sometimes I change them sometimes I don't , and all the books I keep separate this each theme too, and I have lots as I have ordered from Scholastic over the last 20 years so lots of books - it really helps keeping these themes so i am have lots of ideas right away

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I agree with Van. Where you've already done the work of thinking up the crafts, activities etc so far, all you need is an organization system to file it away til you repeat it next. The agency I'm with provides Hipporay to a couple homes, and it seems overpriced, plus the themes might not suit the interests of your group.

I do a Montessori program, and have a dresser and closet filled with materials not currently needed (for instance, I have no kids aged 2-3.5, so I have basic materials for 1yos, and more advanced ones for the 4yos, and the middle things packed away). It's easily seen in the drawers, so I just pull out what I need when someone is ready for it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kindredspirit For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Hi. I have done a lot of crafts and arts and themes, I did create a file but, did not work. The children's interest constantly change "emergent curriculum" was easier to follow the children's interest and not my out dated crafts, and discharged my crafts and arts folder. I do a planing every week based in the interests and skills to develop. Children love novelty, it keeps them engaged. I use mostly natural elements rather than dollar store bough ones.

I buy just the basic , paper, paints, glue, sparkles, and the rest is just loose parts to spark exploration, creativity and engagement.

I use a lot my camera to show to parents that some skills that their children are developing can not just be shown through an art or craft (which anyways the caregiver ends up doing it). I try to develop as much as I can creativity; kind of grab an empty card box and paint or glue thing. Or ask what would they do with it. And you'll be amazed with their answers. And my babies do what they are able to do, ex. Finger paint pudding art or anything they can spread or squish etc. The parents of my group absolutely love the uniqueness of each piece of art. Rather than cut out ducks or flowers, or store bought stuff.

If you search online you'll be amazed with the organization systems many teachers have but, you also have to think how many more hours it will take from your free time to keep it up. Also the funny part is that I have found many great ideas and created an online folder with nice pictures and haven't even looked at it, because i've done it and I want to do new things. I've been keeping yearly journals and I described my art/craft projects in few words and the outcomes (if I ever want to revisit) i found it works best in my case when I need to remember. It doesn't take extra time I write when the children are napping.
    Last edited by Peacefulbird; 07-15-2017 at 07:13 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Peacefulbird For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I have five baskets on shelves in our family room with seasonal books, craft ideas and supplies, etc. (spring, summer, autumn, winter, Advent/ Christmas) Since I only divide things roughly into seasons I can pick and choose according to ages and interests

Outgoing
    What are some of the best arts and craft sites for toddlers, help?