Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Days off/Holidays

Hi all,

Summer is upon us and man do I feel the need for a day off or two once and awhile! Anyone else feel the same?!?! Lol
    I admit I feel a lot of guilt when I schedule a day off. I plan them well in advance (a few months in advance typically) so that the families can make alternate arrangements but now that my eldest is out of school I'd love to add a day or two to extend a weekend or two but of course feel absolutely guilty even thinking about it. Even with giving the families more than 4 weeks notice! Am I insane?!?! I have a very small group (only 3 families - one being part-time) and ultimately I NEED to take a break here and there so I keep my sanity intact. Do you just take off the time you need and not worry or do you avoid it?? You'd think I'd just get over my worry after millions of years in childcare...

Outgoing
    I know what you mean. Sometimes I also feel doing it too. But, I also understand that parents need to work and it is hard for some of them to just schedule a day off. I had clients that their first question when interviewing was, what was my time off and if I had alternative care when I'm off. I had also clients that changed care because their last provider took many days off.

If I ever go that route I think I wouldn't charge so it is fair for them and fair for me.

I also have seen providers that work only four days during summer months plus their two weeks vacation and stat holidays. But it was described in their contract and obviously the parents payed only for the four days (during summer).

In all this many years opened even if my contract reads five days sickness leave, I do not use it. I keep those in case of emergencies but amazingly parents were aware of it they had spoke during recommendations of my interviews and told that, I do not take advantage of most days even described in my contract. In almost 20 years I took two sick days (a really bad cold) and yesterday (my daughter's graduation).

And I have also heard that centres and or agencies explain to parents that, homedaycares (privately operated) are unreliable because they do not offer alternative care and to be aware of our contracts.

If your situation works for you is great but, as soon as you notice a change then you'll be aware of parents noticing it. I'm in Ontario, and lately it has been hard to compete with all centres around and they offer 24/7 services. Making it more convenient to parents.

One friend felt same she was tired and she closed for a year; travelled around did what she wanted to do and she came back with more energy ad happy to operate again. (I'm also looking into that option)

Expansive...
    The burnout rate is so high in this profession. Our working hours and everything we do for the business after hours, makes a very exhausting work week year after year. Taking time for your mental and physical health is essential. I take 4 weeks off, and still feel that it's not enough sometimes. I average 60-65 hrs a week of work-based time, and after 9 years, that's a lot of overtime in comparison to a 40 hr work week that the rest of the world works.
    I used to work in a centre, and had 5 weeks off plus bereavement time(based on 40 hrs a week). I guess I didn't realize how good life was back then lol! Take whatever time you need!!!

Thanks everyone. Your input is so appreciated. I definitely have it clearly written in my contract that I do take time off and as much notice as possible is provided. I too rarely take days off and I know that it's not serving a good purpose for me or the children I care for. I agree that it is one of the downfalls of being a home daycare provider in that many of us (I included) do not have back-up care but ultimately the families are more than aware of it when they sign the contract. It's a small close knit group but there is only one of me. Lol. Even after eons in childcare (both centers and preschools and home daycare) I still want to be there for the families and not be off a lot but at the same time as I know some families have an equally hard time taking days off but I'm only human and old enough to know taking care of my sanity is equally as important. I also have two young children one of whom has a chronic condition that requires my 24/7 care so that too drains me after weeks on end of no days off from "work". I think overall it all balances out when over the fall to spring I barely take any days. Thanks again!!

Expansive...
    you will love and care for the children in your care as you plan and know you will have a few days holidays to look forward to, and I am sure your families can organize something or some time off for themselves as we all need it. ENJOY

I feel guilty taking time off when I know my families don't have back up care (2 have no family in the area, have to call in sick or find a last minute sitter). I do keep it minimal, and I don't charge for my vacation or sickness (as they need to pay another provider on those days). I'm taking 2 weeks vacation this summer, and one of the families communicated with me in advance so she could book the same weeks off work. The other families got over a month notice, but still a terse "yes, I saw" from one when I asked if they got my note about vacation (also included other summer notices and reminders, like packing hats and the BBQs I host).

Ultimately, as said by someone else already, if we don't take the time we need, we burn out. I was actually angry at a toddler the other day (I checked my response, kept a calm tone, but I was bewildered to notice I was angry dealing with a tiny person who didn't mean any harm). I very clearly need my 2 weeks!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kindredspirit For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kindredspirit View Post
    I feel guilty taking time off when I know my families don't have back up care
    I won't sign on a family who doesn't have back up care, for just this reason!

Euphoric !
    Do you think your client have a second thought when they take a day off for their family? Course not. Adults value their family time. My children grown now but I would feel more guilty about not making time for the children I chose to have myself than I would in a perfectly reasonable requirement for some down time. No profession works 5 day week for 52 weeks. Not a single one.

I can promise you on your death bed, you will not be saying "Oh I wish I didn't take that day off to spend with my child but had put my child's needs beneath that of a client's child". It will more likely be that you wish you took more days with your own children. Trust me, in a blink of an eye, your children will be gone. Likely spread over the country or the World like mine. Where "spending time with your children" might be more often than nope, Facetime on a screen. Do not feel bad about spending time with your children while they are there and of an age they want to hang out with you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post: