Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Contagious Skin Rash

Hi. I have been looking after a boy for 1.5 year now. He's 2.5 years old and such a sweetie. He has been getting these wart like bumps on his body over the past month now and his Mom is aware of them. She took him to a walk in clinic yesterday and was diagnosed with Skin and Molluscum Contagiosum. It is part of the pox virus and is contagious for up to 6 months (skin on skin)...no fever. I'm not sure what course of action to take. I know if I was a mom of one of my other kids, I would be concerned. Should I let him ride it out, or cancel his contract...after all, it does say in my contract any contagious diseases...I'm at a loss here. Thanks in advance

Euphoric !
    http://kidshealth.org/en/parents/mol...tagiosum.html#

Well, there is a strong chance that the main contagious period has passed. I think I would lean to following the steps to prevent infection, but keep the child in care. Ensure his family understands they NEED to do everything to help prevent spread.

I would notify other parents that a child has this, give them a link to useful info to help ease concerns and very clearly state what you and the family are doing to keep it from spreading. It is noted to be safe to continue care in daycare and school and it can take 6-18months to actually clear this so it doesn't seem feasible to exclude form care unless you just terminate.

Euphoric !
    It depend on your contact, your local public health recommendations for contagious diseases in daycare and your personal situation. For me, I have small child in family who has compromised immune system so I would have to terminate.

Expansive...
    In BC we have a daycare nurse we can contact and ask her to visit and get a second opinion that the parent have to go by, is there a school nurse you can contact and ask her ?