Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Before and after school only

Hello all!

After some time thinking this over, I am ready to move forward with opening a before and after school care in my home.
    For me, I think this will be the best option as this time as I have my own children who need care as well from me and two of my own children are school age as well and then I have a preschooler.
    At first I was thinking only babies/toddlers but after talking with parents in the area, they are in need of before/after school more then anything and if I am in the same school anyhow, it just makes sense.

At this time I am having home built which has a basement suite which will be the dedicated space for the childcare area.

I wondered if I could pick you brain?
    From what I have researched was that the going rate here is around $15( before OR after) or $25 for before + after BUT can go up if the child is dropped off before 7am.

I have to have my home fully finished before I go though the process of applying for my license so until then can only have 2 kids at first.

I live one block from the school so will always be walking to and from the school with the kids

I have read on here how it's not worth the money to watch before/after.. but noticed most those posts were they were only wanting one, then there others were babies.
    So is anyone here ONLY before/after school?

Do most of you children who come before/after need care of Pro-D and holiday breaks?

I wondered what the dedicated space for K-7th grade kids looks like? As well as the outdoor toys you have?

I was thinking a tv room with couch and bean bag chairs, a computer station or possibly just iPad.. maybe both, a board games area, a book shelf area, a craft area. table to do homework and then a table for the board games/crafts. Maybe a table football game.
    I did not want all focus on technology so wanted more options and ideas.

Sorry I feel had way more question but as my brain gets tired, I have forgotten.

Thank you!

(oh and I'm in BC!)

Outgoing
    Hi. You're lucky getting that rates. Here in Ontario depenginger on the location I've heard the going rate is $7 for before and $12 to $15 for after.

In regards of how your environment should be set, you can get a lot of ideas online google it, also search for homeschooling ideas they have wonderful fun ideas. I remember also there is a textbook "school age......"; I will find the book and let you know it gives great ideas on how to set environments for school agers, I took a course for after school programs.

Euphoric !
    I am not school age child only but a lot of provider near me are. They use a few models depending which best suit their situation.

First should say that here, own children are counted in ratios only if actually in premises. This mean family child who in Elementary grade not count in school hour but do count if home for school vacations or snow days. I would also check your limits for numbers - some province allow extra children if offering only school age care but I think the provinces that do this, would limit you to the lower number due to age of own child.

What seem to happen here -

1) Provider is just before and/or after school care. No availability for care in Summer, Christmas, snow day, training days. i.e. if the school is closed to students, then no day care is available. This would basically follow the school schedule. Client not pay for summer month but sometimes required pay for Christmas break even though closed. These provider typically do not have day off in contract and take their vacation during school closure time and make their personal appointment during lesson time before child return end of school day.

2) Slight change to above but instead of following the school schedule, it follow teacher schedule. This slightly different because there are some day when school is closed to students but open to staff for routine staff development. Again, no care in school vacation or snow days - if teacher not required to physically be at work, then day care not open.

3) Others offer all day care for school vacation dates and snow days and all days when school closed. This offered at higher full day rate. This might not be available to all client because household children home from school and taking a space. Lot provider try to get school board employee for some of their space knowing that teacher prefer no pay no care in summer which free up space for provider child.

Euphoric !
    If you choose to do this route I would consider putting in your contract that all children bring their snacks from home. It will cost a fortune to feed a troop of school-agers that have been in school all day.

While it will be easier to care for just school-agers (the walk to and from is easier without a bunch of toddlers). They are costly. Art supplies, food, etc add up in the quantity they use.

Unfortunately, i had a friend who opened up something similar...but it eventually failed. From what I have seen, the profit you make out of this is minimal - just okay however, not enough to satisfy someone who is going to invest a large capital sum and a lot of time into the venture. Dealing with parents, kids and workers is not easy. However, i will finish by saying that if you love this business and would not trade it in for the world..then go for it! I admire you so much because this is not an easy job. Anyway, an in-door football space or a footpool would be a great option! My daughter loves the one at her daycare place, plus it suits a wide range of ages. Keep us updated dearie

Expansive...
    I did before/after care before with a $25 flat rate, and it doesn't pay considering all of the food/supplies that are used. The kids used to eat 2 servings of morning and afternoon snack and then the cost of art supplies too. Don't put too much money into catering your space specifically for them, as you'll bankrupt yourself. Yes, buy some toys, but don't go all out, or all of your profits will be down the drain. I only took them at JK/SK/Grade 1 so I could use the toys I already had in my full-day daycare, and add bins to rotate of activities that were more age appropriate. I also found that behavioural issues with these ages drove me up the wall, so between behaviour and low pay(also trying to keep spots full) I only survived one school year, and went back to the full day 1-4 year olds. I was open on PA days and closed during Xmas/march break etc. Good luck!

thank you all. def gives me something to think about. I'm not even sure if it will work out after hearing you thoughts. I will need to sit down with an accountant and go over our options.
    I thought it might help my family out if I did this, with my own time, to help pay for part of our morage, as I would be using our 1bed room suite in basement to fun this small daycare form. But now I'm just not sure after hearing all you thoughts.
    I would def not provide food, as I know him much kids eat LOL I have 3 boys. But even with out food, I assume your saying it's just not doable eh?
    Again will have to sit down with an account to try and crunch the numbers..
    Anymore thoughts please feel free to still answer here <3