Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control

Thread: Failure to Grow

Threaded View

Outgoing

Failure to Grow

Hi - I have a dcb who is almost 17 months and he's been in my care for almost 6 months. Easy kid , great family. Normal height and weight at birth and was full term.
    When he first came to my daycare, mom told me doctor keeping a watch on him as he wasn't gaining enough weight or growing in height the way he should be. At one of his appointments doctor even said felt he had shrunk (how weird is that?). Totally healthy kid from what I can tell, with normal milestones. Anyway, I've fed him a ton for the past 6 months, but at last check up, according to doctor, he's same as he was when started with height and weight. Doctor sent him to test for celiac but that came back negative. He seems totally normal to me except he does eat with a fervor that I haven't seen before . He acts like it's been hours since he ate. And he doesn't know when to quit eating and will go on til he spits up.
    Parents are medium height and weight and take good care. In my experience kids are always growing are they not?, even if slowly but still physically growing always. Even genetically short kids. He did grow for his first 6- 8 months but plateaud after that. Anyone familiar with this? Could gluten intolerance or lactose intolerance cause failure to grow? Or is it just genetics?. Anyway, he's off to see more doctors soon. My own kids never gained weight the way the charts said they should but they always grew tall like crazy so doctors were never concerned. Is doc over reacting. Any experiences?
    Last edited by ebhappydc; 07-20-2017 at 09:57 AM.