Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

"home visitor" Ontario regulation

Hi all,
    I'm new here, and I'm thinking of opening my own daycare in Jan 2018.
    I'm going through policies now, and am really thinking of opening a licensed home day care. How do I get a "home visitor" to come and check my place?
    I see this referenced throughout Ontario regulation, but can't seem to understand how to get started.
    Any other advice would be much appreciated!
    Thank you,
    -Anne

Euphoric !
    The short answer - You can't. The only way to be 'licensed' is to affiliate with an agency, such as Wee Watch, Today's Family, etc. There are a variety of different agencies with a variety of levels of quality. Some are great, some are terrible. As it stands now, most agencies set the fees and keep back a percentage to cover their overhead costs. This is usually around 30% of your income. There are some new models coming out that cost a provider less, but they aren't everywhere. Most providers choose to stay Independent because of this financial burden. Another big reason we choose to stay unlicensed is because we enjoy running our own businesses and recognize that licensed care is becoming over-regulated. It's getting to the point that there are sooooo many regulations, that risk/liability management is taking priority over quality programming.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by anne88 View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm new here, and I'm thinking of opening my own daycare in Jan 2018.
    I'm going through policies now, and am really thinking of opening a licensed home day care. How do I get a "home visitor" to come and check my place?
    I see this referenced throughout Ontario regulation, but can't seem to understand how to get started.
    Any other advice would be much appreciated!
    Thank you,
    -Anne
    Hi, search for "homedaycare agencies" in your area and contact them or Google them some have their policies or general inf. On their websites. Also, if you decide to go through this route dealing with "agencies", try to join a "non for profit" one (they have or will have a better support from the ministry through diferentes grants). Become also familiar with the ontario homedaycare regulations for licensed and "unlicensed" sectors. Also be aware that agencies rates to the public are low for example in my area is $45 to parents and they get their cut of it and pay $35 to the caregiver (which basically is expected to cover all your service plus meals and crafts etc ). Going independent allows you to establish a fair rate for your quality program and services.
    Last edited by Peacefulbird; 08-14-2017 at 10:56 PM.

Shy
    Thanks so much for your answers, very good to know! Yea, I would not want to hand over my profits, as reinvesting them back into the program would be best.
    I just grow concerned, as I feel that parents would not want to put their children in unregistered home day care.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by anne88 View Post
    Thanks so much for your answers, very good to know! Yea, I would not want to hand over my profits, as reinvesting them back into the program would be best.
    I just grow concerned, as I feel that parents would not want to put their children in unregistered home day care.
    That's what I thought but, there are certain steps to follow first get your police clearance for the vulnerable sector you and your husband and anyone living in the house over 18 years old (your husband and 18 years Olds do not need it if you go privately; but just to assure families of my serious professional commitment to my work, I do it so, no doubts arise) once you do it is valid for five years.

Then you must do the first aid cpr (this is also offered in two modalities now; one that is only 4 hrs in total and the "standard" one two full days 8am to 4pm; if you go private you can do the first one but I did the second one again this to assure parents that I'm committed (also agencies ask the standard one); the police clearance and the first aid are the basic steps. Then it is up to you, you can find more workshops around your community to support your knowledge ex: I did the safety food handling one, the guiding children's behaviour positively; many programing ideas etc. (These workshops you can do it at your own time or if something interested you) there are also online webbinars etc. Is just your own choice; but the more knowledge you gain the better for your business; parents will undoubtedly realize how much expertise you have in the field. In my case I really focused a lot energy in reading about child development, it helped me a great deal (but it is up to you;0)

And last, you can visit website to get ideas on how to set up your environment; childproof and safety is a must.

We have in Ottawa a special centre called ccprn.com this centre helps with the start up of a homedaycare, visit their website perhaps you can get more ideas. And also a child safety check list that you can follow.

Become familiar with the new "ontario homedaycare regulations"

Once parents see all this in place I do not think they will have any doubt of your seriousness of you commitment and your business and they will value that. Not if it is licensed or not. Anyway, some agencies are changing and they aren't charging fees but only for seasoned caregivers.

Good luck!! Let us know how it goes or if you need more help.

Starting to feel at home...
    That seems ridiculous. What a useless system.... You have to be associated with a larger group for oversight? 30% for the trouble?

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacefulbird View Post
    That's what I thought but, there are certain steps to follow first get your police clearance for the vulnerable sector you and your husband and anyone living in the house over 18 years old (your husband and 18 years Olds do not need it if you go privately; but just to assure families of my serious professional commitment to my work, I do it so, no doubts arise) once you do it is valid for five years.

Then you must do the first aid cpr (this is also offered in two modalities now; one that is only 4 hrs in total and the "standard" one two full days 8am to 4pm; if you go private you can do the first one but I did the second one again this to assure parents that I'm committed (also agencies ask the standard one); the police clearance and the first aid are the basic steps. Then it is up to you, you can find more workshops around your community to support your knowledge ex: I did the safety food handling one, the guiding children's behaviour positively; many programing ideas etc. (These workshops you can do it at your own time or if something interested you) there are also online webbinars etc. Is just your own choice; but the more knowledge you gain the better for your business; parents will undoubtedly realize how much expertise you have in the field. In my case I really focused a lot energy in reading about child development, it helped me a great deal (but it is up to you;0)

And last, you can visit website to get ideas on how to set up your environment; childproof and safety is a must.

We have in Ottawa a special centre called ccprn.com this centre helps with the start up of a homedaycare, visit their website perhaps you can get more ideas. And also a child safety check list that you can follow.

Become familiar with the new "ontario homedaycare regulations"

Once parents see all this in place I do not think they will have any doubt of your seriousness of you commitment and your business and they will value that. Not if it is licensed or not. Anyway, some agencies are changing and they aren't charging fees but only for seasoned caregivers.

Good luck!! Let us know how it goes or if you need more help.
    Wow! thanks so much! I will check out that link. I've gotten my vulnerable sectors check so many times in the past 5 years, its like clockwork for me. And I'm already up to date in my CPR/First Aid. I will definitely be checking in here for more help! So grateful this site is up.