Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

No running water

We have a leak in our water line (from our well) that suddenly got much worse. Today I only had water for the daycare bathroom and kitchen, but tonight we had to turn the pump off completely. Would you still stay open? The repair is scheduled for midday tomorrow. We don't drink the well water anyway, so we have a water cooler for drinking/cooking, and wipes for cleaning. I've got paper plates, etc to cut back on dishes. Tonight we flushed toilets with buckets from the pool. If it matters, I have 3 toddlers and 3 4yos.

I'm conflicted. Do I close? Let the parents know and leave it up to them? What would you do?

Outgoing
    Oh no! I don't see why you would have to close really. Will there be a lot of construction on your property? I'd mention to the parents since there will be other people at your house. If there's water for drinking and you can clean up messes with wipes etc., then i can't see it being a problem, especially since it's being fixed tomorrow.. If you close, it's short notice for parents which may be difficult for them to arrange alternate care. Also, I would think you can claim part of the repair as well for taxes. Good luck!

The contractor only lives down the street, and the well is near the road, so it won't effect the house (though the children will no doubt be glued to the window watching!). They all knew of the issue, as the well water flooded our yard, so the kids have been playing in mud and helping me dig channels to divert the water. Most of the parents are 'transplants' like us that have no family around for back up. I was concerned about health & safety regs, but I have everything in place to manage for the day. Thank you for weighing in-I think I will stay open for tomorrow and fingers crossed it's an easy fix!

Euphoric !
    I would not close.

I normally assess if there a safety of health/hygiene risk to the children. Since you have ability to flush toilet even if it with bucket of pool water and wash hands, then I don't see being an issue.

If there had been a risk to children, I would close to all and lose that day pay. If there no risk, I would inform parent and then up to them if they chose keep child home but they will pay because I open and willing and able to work.

Just a side question - I think you in Nova Scotia - are you allowed pools with your daycare insurance? I thought pools and trampoline mean decline cover across all province. Can I ask who you insure with?

I stayed open-the kids loved watching the excavator! And we had running water by 1pm.

I am in Nova Scotia, and have a pool. TD wouldn't insure me because of the pool, and my house is 120 years old, so other companies wouldn't insure me for that reason. Wawanesa insured me for daycare with the pool, but only allowed 6 children max (here if you're with an agency you can have 7 of mixed ages or 9 if all school aged). I switched to cooperators to get the full ratios, and they were ok with the pool. Most daycare agencies don't allow them here either-I'm the only one in my agency with a pool. I've got trauma certification (I'm a ER nurse on weekends) and it's got 3 different locks between daycare and pool (door lock, gate combo lock and safety latch).