Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Losing hope! 😔

Hi everyone,

I'm losing hope, I'm struggling to fill spots this fall, i have phone calls and interviews
    But they don't pick me, I'm giving up on this business! �� clients way to picky and now
    They ask personal questions specially Asian culture! ��

I'm at the end
    Thanks

Euphoric !
    If you are getting to interview stage, then maybe you need to change that up. Be more confident, don't let client feel that they are "picking" you but the opposite - you are picking your client out of those who come. Someone going for a job interview's doesn't pick who offers them a space and they know that.

Can you explain what your interview process is?
    Do you phone interview first to weed out unsuitable client's so those who come you are confident in wanting?
    Have they seen your contract and policies in advance?
    Is your space clean and tidy?
    Bright and well cared for?
    Are the toys the right age group?
    Do you explain what a typical day in your care is?
    Why are you answering personal questions vs showing them the door? If they can't respect boundaries now, they won't as client's so it's good when they show themselves as unsuitable.
    With due respect - does your home look very Asian and perhaps that creates questions about how Westernised your program might be?
    How many space you need fill? If it several, do your ads say that and make parents wonder why you have so many spaces? If so, just amend your ads to state you have openings and leave it without a number for them to question.

Hi suzie_homemaker, I'm not sure what it is, I was doing so well and this summer has being bad, I have a nice, bright clean area, I think I'm going throw a dry spell, nothing comes up, the clients I'm getting are more asian than other cultures, don't know why? lol I guess I need to wait some more, I have only one child because I had two teacher that went away and they were both expecting babies so everything down hill for me and it hard now to get back on my feet. the clients im getting are not good fit for me, due to their picky behaviour. I need to be patient looking for the right match but I was hoping to be busy by Sept and nothing has come up. My environment is very happy nice home colorful, I don't have a separate space for napping and they come and question me what do I do with the rest of the children when they nap, I do a good job, but this clients are so picky before I didn't have any issue and they nap for two hours only I don't know what the issue every child has their own playpen or mat with clean blankets, and the only thing is that I'm looking for only full time maybe that is the case I'm thinking to change it to part time to see if that makes the difference thanks for your advice. I'll keep trying I really like what I do, I'll keep on working on it.

Outgoing
    Hi, it has been low almost everywhere, first the new change in the new regulations then Trudeau have confirmed and approved 18 months mat leave. Then the negative media homedaycares got lately, and last the ministry is opening and supporting more centre based spots and also supporting the licensed sector. The clear message is that they want us to close.

I started a new approach, first I have printed all the Cceya Doc. Read it and gave a look to my place with this guideline, and did few changes, so when I have interviews I also use the Ministry Cceya Doc. As a back up. And I explain all to parents. It worked.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peacefulbird For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
    Hi suzie_homemaker, I'm not sure what it is, I was doing so well and this summer has being bad,
    Summer is usually a very slow season for private day cares. We're competing with out-of-school students!

You're Chinese.....dependin g on your location, have you thought about targeting specifically Chinese clients? Not that I'm suggesting you don't accept non-Chinese, but that you should focus more with the purpose of attracting Chinese clientele, like placing ads in Chinese community?

You only need 5 full-time children (that's a way to look at it). I had never achieved having all full-time spaces filled (also just accepting full time now). It took a while before I got 4.

At the start, I had to accept part-time, because parents want to have their children to have playmates. I've reached a compromise with the part-time (two siblings), they pay the full amount equivalent to 4 full time days. I'm stressing that they're paying for the space.
    You need kids to attract clients, it seems. If you're just starting, maybe you should consider taking in one or two part-timers for now.

How many do you have now?
    Last edited by betsy; 08-23-2017 at 05:58 AM.