Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Handful is leaving!

I was just given notice by the mom of the most challenging tot I've encountered. I've considered termination numerous times, but the parents were so wonderful that I stuck it out for 9 months. They're switching her to an older caregiver with just one other child there, so she can get more attention. They also emphasized that it was because of her needs, and didn't think she was suitable for a large group setting, that they were happy with my care and would continue to recommend my daycare. Part of me is elated/relieved, because she either required my full attention or screamed all day (and I have a full roster), but part of me feels like a failure. I've been open 1.5yrs and this is the first child who left for other care (others phased out or I termed). I really thought that I could reach any child.

Expansive...
    We all try to do our best, but sometimes kids need more than we can give, or need a different setting. I stuck it out with a family for 3 years, and I will never do that again(more so the parents, and refusing to get child developmental help)
    I've had some I let go after 2-3 months, as I knew they needed on on one care that I couldn't give. I'm sure you will be more relieved, and the group dynamics/routines will probably flow easier for you. Don't take it personally, just recognize that kids all have individual needs. Some we can accomodate, and some we can't.

Thank you. I do agree it'll improve group dynamics, as the others were bothered by the screaming. I have had interest in the spot already, hopefully I can fill it soon before the school year really gets going.This was definitely a learning experience!

Expansive...
    just celebrate that the child is moving on and don't take it personally as it sounds like the best choice for you.

Euphoric !
    Don't beat yourself up. Like we don't gel with every adult we meet, it's an unrealistic pressure to put on yourself to expect that every child we will gel with too.
    You are not a failure. As long as did all you could, then you didn't fail this child.

Thank you ladies. She's been gone for a week, and it's like a weight was lifted. I think I actually dreaded her coming. I have a new child starting tomorrow (sibling of a child I have, and I've seen them together in their home). They're pretty wild at home, but he's 2.5yo, potty trained, and can talk, so I hope I can reason with him and help him to settle into our routine.