Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help WWYD?

Help WWYD?

Client A- made mat leave agreement that full time enrollment had to happened to hold spot for sibling client agreed this. At the time I was full and only had an under 2 spot open so they filled this spot and I turned away other possible clients so they could have this spot. Since the agreement was made made I have unexpectedly lost clients and now have a few spots open and child is now over two.

Client B- made mat leave agreement that part time enrollment had to happen to hold sibling spot, this agreement was made when I lost all the others so after client A made agreement. So it was either 3 days or they just take their chance with the spot.

Since I still have openings for both an under two and over two I feel guilty for making client A pay full time enrollment to hold sibling spot., when client B will be only 3 days. Client A has a 6 month holding spot for sibling. Client b has a year holding spot. Should I offer client A a drop t three days like other agreement since I have openings or not. I would normally say min 3 days a week to hold spot but at the time when client A made agreement I only had under 2 open, so I turned away other possible clients. I am not sure what to do, I mean parents may or may not talk about the agreement so do I nip it now or looking for some advice. TIA

Euphoric !
    Just to confirm, is the spot being held and paid for with Client A now a over or under 2 spot? What about client B's spot that is being paid for?

It is a difficult position. I see no problem with requiring 5 day pay to hold a spot. As you are losing income. BUT, it doesn't quite seem right that two different families are paying 2 different prices for the exact same thing.

Maybe tell the parent now that since you have other spots available you will only charge 3 days a week to hold the spot but once you are full and return to turning new families (more income away) you will go back to the 5 days a week? Since it is a full year holding versus the 6 months of the other family it might make sense? What are the 2 start dates?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    let them choose what they need 3 or 5 days wk and then advertize for the spots available without any guilt as it is their choice

Both spots being held are for an under two child.

first one is a jan start so cant fill that spot for an under 2 short term and the second is Oct 2018 but parent knows that as of Sept 2018 they are required to pay full time fee to hold it for the month so to speak.

Expansive...
    I don't hold spots for under 2's unless it's for a month or less(at full rate). The demand is too high in my area to lose clients for that age group.

If demand is not high in your area, I can understand holding the spot. I would still be advertising the spot and filling it with another child for the year prior to them starting keeping mind that they would need to turn 2 by the time your sibling starts so they can move up into the over two age group and keep your ratios in check. The other child, my understanding it was either 3 days or nothing resulting in having low enrollment, I am assuming this is why you went for that agreement rather than what you did with the other family.

My advice to you is to not feel too guilty and take this as a learning experience. It is easier to stick to a strict policy when you are full or in high demand, but when enrollment is low, inquiries are slow and money is down, I can see why some people would make exceptions. That is my interpretation of what has happened here.

Am I also correct in thinking that the families are actually not paying anything for the actual spot, simply agreeing to a minimum enrollment/attendance for the older child while the mum is on maternity leave? I have a requirement that the family pays a non-refundable deposit for the new baby and their current child stays enrolled full time. Given the amount of notice I have when finding out a parent is pregnant and when they require care, I have a discussion with the parents asap and get a signed contract for the new baby to start at the 12-month mark. I fill this spot with a child who will turn two if there is a two-year-old spot open for them to move into at that time. It is tricky to make work, but the issue isn't the under 2 spot for me as I can always fill them. what my issue is, is that I don't want to lose the over two children. Those spots are really hard to fill I find unless it is a pair of siblings returning from maternity leave, which obviously requires an under 2 spot too, or a child already in my care turning 2.

I have just been through it but with baby number 3. If I didn't hold a spot, she would have pulled both her kids over the age of 2 from my care while on maternity leave. The eldest child just started kindergarten so, in reality, she didn't need to hold the spot for him, but I made it mandatory for her to keep both kids in full-time care if she wanted me to guarantee a spot for number 3 in May. I am now at 4 kids by my choice even though I have an under 2 spot open so that in May I am able to take number 3. She didn't pay for that spot, but she did pay full-time daycare fees for two siblings for 4 months. $3600 of unnecessary cost to her, and spots I would have struggled to fill.

You have these agreements in place now so I wouldn't reduce the other one for the parent paying full time. They are getting the service they are paying for and a guaranteed spot held for a year. Not many people would do that.