Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Possible difficult parent

Hi,
    I am currently getting my license for a FCC and I have had an interview with a potential parent. Everything went well but the parent seems like they could be difficult (potential pain). They currently have their child in a LNR and they keep asking when I will get my license. As I am in the process with licensing I'm. It sure when it will
    Be issued. But anytime they contact me they keep pestering me about my license. I have let them know I can care for 2 child without a license yet they still bring it up. I don't understand why this bothers them as they have their child in a LNR.

Any suggestions or tips on parents like this. I'm thinking of letting them go as this is already driving me nuts.

thank you

Euphoric !
    What is LNR?

Is it possible they NEED you licensed to receive government subsidy or something like that? Maybe they are seeking more playmates so need somewhere with more than 2 children.

I would just ask them what it is they are seeking, why they are so eager for the license to be confirmed. It might be something simple that you can ease their mind with if you discuss it.

Expansive...
    LNR is Lic not required in BC .....so if their child is in LNR they may be nervous because of the child that DIED in BC last year in a LNR and they want to be in a LIC daycare for peace of mind .....that is the only reason that I can think of why they want you to speed up your Lic

Starting to feel at home...
    I'm in a different province, but I've seen a huge upswing in parents wanting regulated (here they are called 'approved family home daycares') care. None of my families use subsidy, but they all expressed during interviews that it was important (and one even called the agency I'm with as a reference check), and all actually looked at my copies of insurance, registry checks, and trauma cert. I'm shocked they didn't ask for my ID and degree lol. Maybe they are anxious, or maybe there was an incident or near incident at the old daycare that made them want to seek licensed care?

really? I have found the opposite. talking with a dad last night they interviewed 15 daycare prior to joining with me 3 years ago( i so didn't know that, and felt really really awesome).
    The last 2 familys I have taking on,
    family 1 i did a hour interview over the phone. they can the next morning for an hour, picked up the paper work and dropped it off that night. kid started the next day.
    family 2 i did a 20 minute phone interview, family came hour interview, dropped paper work off 2 hours later.
    Neither actually asked to see any paper work, I basically had to shove it under their noses.
    I think that there is such a crisis for daycare that parents are happy to have their kids some where safe and happy.
    Where as 8 years ago it was like having potential parents pull teeth at interviews.

Euphoric !
    I have had families question why I was not licensed and when I explained the process and how they set my fees and take a chunk of it they immediately changed their views on licensing. I explained how I can invest more in the daycare when I set the fee and keep it all. They happily signed on once they understood. There is such great misunderstanding in what licensing means in regards to quality care. Part of that is that parents NEED to see how many kids are in care, the qualifications (whether education or experience) and just gauging the caregivers personality and beliefs.

But, there is a fine line in ensuring all is in order and just being too over bearing (for lack of better word). It is up to us to try and figure out which parents are crossing their t's and dotting their i's to ensure quality care but can trust the caregiver and those that won't be able to trust and respect the caregiver thereby creating an unhealthy relationship.

Outgoing
    I'm in Ontario, the ball game is way to different since three or two years ago. We have new regulations and also the Ministry of Education has been supporting openly the licensed sector through grants and social media advertisements. Parents are more consious when making their desicion. I wonder how will keep affecting Independent homedaycare providers in the long run. They keep anouncing more spot openings in the licensed sector, they're building and using more schools for childcare centres, and last they anounced free licensing two months ago.

Answering your question, about concerned parents; I think you can absolutely get a note or confirmation from the licensing office and a peace them. It is their child, and probably being young and non experienced, "licensing" is a word that at least means to them "safe" until they get to know you and develop trust.

When I have visits from unexperienced parents I'm very open on even informing them about the new regulations, and things or information they should ask for, such as current first aid cpr, police clearance, insurance and last certifications and also red flags to be aware of (ex. Low price or rate, not open door policy, unfriendly, not clear about children in attendance some times too many part timers, etc)
    Last edited by Peacefulbird; 09-09-2017 at 12:11 PM.

Shy
    Thank you for your reply. No they don't need subsidy. But I have let them know what is needed in the process for licensing in BC and the requirements, I have also provided references for them. Since there interest doesn't seem serious I'm just going to let it be and find a family that is a better fit.

Thank you for your replies it's much appreciated.
    Last edited by B0604; 09-12-2017 at 11:22 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to B0604 For This Useful Post:

Van

Expansive...
    sometimes it is time to say NEXT and just move on
    Good Luck

Euphoric !
    I think it's reasonable that parents ask questions, want to see insurance, police checks, etc. It could just be that these parents having been told you are in the process of becoming licensed are waiting for that to happen as a means to valid the statements you made.
    In all fairness, I think this is reasonable. We are strangers to them and while they have to of course just make a leap of faith to some extent initially until they get to know us, validating the statements made to them, is the only way of checking our honesty. Sure, they can take up references but for all they know, at the end of the phone is a personal friend pretending to have been a client.

What I will say, is that if your gut is telling you that these parents might be challenging, trust it. While as said, I think it's reasonable they are inquiring about the status of your license, they also have been told that you aren't in control of when that happens and done have a go date to give them.

For me, next time they ask, I would reply and say something like "I know you are anxious about the status of my license but like you, I too am just having to wait until the process goes through and the speed of that is subject to the work load the licensing department currently has. As you know, I can care for 2 (I think you said that?) children unlicensed and therefore if you need care to begin before the process is completed, that is an option as well.
    The licensing department's number is XXX-XXX-XXXX should you wish to confirm that I am in the process of this before you sign a contract but please be aware that I cannot hold a space indefinitely for you without a contract and so if the licensing takes longer than we hope, there is a risk that you miss out on a space in my day care.
    For now, that's all I can do while we wait for the process to complete. Of course, I will inform you of when my license is approved but between now and that happening, I have no other information I can give you."

If they still continue to message endlessly, then you can decide if your intuition about these potential client's still stands - you do not have to offer them a space. This is your home which just happens to be a business too. Ultimately, the decision is yours not the parents as to if they will come to you for care. Don't forget that. You are not obligated to take anyone's child just because you have a space open.