Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Trouble getting 15 mo to nap

Hi All,

I've just started my own in-home daycare this summer, & started with a new family this month. I am wondering if anyone has advice/suggestions on getting a toddler to sleep for naptime? She is 15 months old, & has only come 3 full days, so I am wondering if it is sort of an adjustment period, and I need to be patient? Parents told me she normally still has 2 naps a day at home, & they have no trouble at all getting her to sleep - she has a bottle and then falls asleep. At my place, she will have her milk at normal time, & then roll around & chat away in her pack n play. I have tried both in the morning and afternoon, & cannot get her to sleep. I also have a 16 month old daughter, but for the most part SHE will sleep (which is actually shocking, because she has been a terrible & inconsistent sleeper). They sleep in the same room (I'm in a townhouse & the "daycare" is all on one level - no separate rooms), & I try to make it as dark/quiet as possible, with quiet music playing.

Is it possible it is just the adjustment to daycare? I should add she hasn't had any other issues adjusting - no crying at drop off or anything. I'm assuming a new place & another child around makes it harder to sleep. I can tell she is tired by the end of the day, & I would be happy if she'd take just one nap (I don't actually think she needs 2 still), but I can't accomplish even that! Help!

Outgoing
    You can try asking her mom to bring her favorite blanket. Or comfort stuffy, rub gently her little head until she feels sleepy, this is done only until she gets used to her nap time. It could also be that a playpen wasn't used before for her naps. I have been using cots even for babies now, and they just fell asleep. It makes easier for me to sit beside them until they fell asleep and it also makes easier to "sleep check" during their nap. Once they fell asleep I just remove the comfort toys gently and make sure blankets aren't covering their faces, and I make sure they're sleeping on their backs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Peacefulbird For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    it may be a good idea to try nap time without the music as it may be better without for her. the music may be a distraction to her and she thinks it is time to chat

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post: