Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Client's longer hours on mat. Leave

I've noticed a few parents using longer hours now that they are on maternity leave. All of my parents have contracted hours. It seems to be earlier dropoffs and later pickup to increase the length of child's attendance by almost an hour. I understand they are probably exhausted, and could use the extra time, but there has been no discussion with me that things are changing, and to ask me if that's ok. I think that's what irks me is the lack of communication and just assuming that it's ok. Would you increase their daily rate for attendance hours that went up by an hour? It's now become the child who's here from the second I open until the second I close. What would you say to this parent, as it's not the contracted hours I agreed to?
    Thanks for your input!

Yes, increase their rate. The rate they are paying is for their contracted hours. If they want longer hours (within your work hours) they they should pay more.

I charge one rate for hours between 8am to 5pm and another higher rate if they want to start as early as 7:30 and/or stay as late as 5:30pm. If they want to start before 7:30 or stay past 5:30 they need to find a new daycare.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Busy ECE mommy View Post
    I've noticed a few parents using longer hours now that they are on maternity leave. All of my parents have contracted hours. It seems to be earlier dropoffs and later pickup to increase the length of child's attendance by almost an hour. I understand they are probably exhausted, and could use the extra time, but there has been no discussion with me that things are changing, and to ask me if that's ok. I think that's what irks me is the lack of communication and just assuming that it's ok. Would you increase their daily rate for attendance hours that went up by an hour? It's now become the child who's here from the second I open until the second I close. What would you say to this parent, as it's not the contracted hours I agreed to?
    Thanks for your input!
    I wouldn't increase their rate. I would instead like any other policy, enforce the contracted agreement. They signed in agreeance to set hours, so they should never have dropped off early or picked up late more than once since they should have been told then, that this was not available to them and should they require longer hours, it is something to be discussed, at which time it would have been up to you to decide if you were okay with it and if so notify them of a rate increase.

At this point, if you are unhappy with the early drop off and late pickup, tell them immediately that they need to stick to their contracted hours. Let them know that is what they signed and agreed to. If you are okay with the longer day, then inform them immediately that the hours they are bringing are more than what they are paying for and tell them that it is an increased rate. Beware though, these folks may end up expecting a lower rate on the days they don't drop off and pick up at the extended hours, and then it is just going to get messy with them. I would personally tell them to stick to their hours as contracted.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy ECE mommy View Post
    All of my parents have contracted hours. It seems to be earlier dropoffs and later pickup to increase the length of child's attendance by almost an hour. ... Would you increase their daily rate for attendance hours that went up by an hour? It's now become the child who's here from the second I open until the second I close. What would you say to this parent, as it's not the contracted hours I agreed to?
    Thanks for your input!
    If you don't enforce your contracted terms, it's not going to change. I would address it head on but first decide if you actually are willing to work the increased time or not because that will affect what you say. Then send them a letter, (e-mail is good because you can prove that it was sent/communicated) with their contract attached.

"Hey parent
    I am noticing that it's becoming a frequent event that you are arriving at daycare prior to our contracted hours of care and picking up after our agreed hours.
    To the best of my recollection, this isn't an agreed change as I would have issued a revision to the contract with an amended rate for the additional care times.
    I attach a copy of your signed contract just in case you have misplaced your own in which it's stated that late pick up is charged at $1 a minute.
    Please let me know if you need to extend the hours of care we have agreed to so I can advice you of the fee increase that would incur or if you had simply forgotten what our arrangement is. While I don't want to apply the late fees as I know you are on mat leave, I am sure you would agree that adding time to the day shouldn't be without financial compensation either.
    Please let me know how you wish to go forward. "

Starting to feel at home...
    Definetly bring it up. If you're ok with the extra hour, then think of a fair price to compensate. I usually open at 8, but one parent needed me to open at 7. I was ok with that, but I did tell the parent that they'd have to pay a higher rate. We negotiated and came up with a rate that is fair for both parties.

Euphoric !
    One other point, here, if someone late, I call if they aren't here in 5 mins. And I keep calling their number and emergency contacts numbers until I get an answer. This way, if someone genuinely held up, they know to contact me and update me before I start disturbing their back up carers.

Once you've addressed this, keep your door locked in the morning. I open my door for each client and greet each child as they come so there's no walking in and darting off before hours. The combination of denied entry before care start time and the immediate contact at the end of the day if not here at pick up time, helps avoid this situation you dealing with.