Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Parents want child Back in Diapers

Don't mean to start another potty thread but parents want their 2.5 yr dcb back in diapers as she's digressed over the past week with a few accidents at home. She has been okay here at daycare although she forgot to tell me once last week she had to go so had accident. I'm not wanting to give up and child is willing to sit on potty here (not at home - she told me mommy yells about it). Parents want continuity between daycare and home so want diapers here and there. I want to keep going with diapers only at naps and underwear rest of time here at daycare. Who has right of way? I don't want to create a battle with parents who are actually great. But I feel a lot of effort will be lost. TX!

Your business, Your rules while the child is in your care. At home its parents rules. If you want the child in underwear, then they child will be in underwear at daycare.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I'd keep going with the momentum you have with the child's success at daycare. A few accidents are normal. Just keep it up at your house. It doesn't make sense to go backwards when you've had success. What the parents do at home is up to them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy ECE mommy For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Learning any new skills has it's good days and bad days. It's a process. I am sure they didn't push the child back onto it's bottom when they were learning to walk, if they fell over a couple of times. This is lazy parenting but it's the child who is being directly affected.

Here, once we start toilet training, there's no going back. Real underwear from day one. I would be telling the parents that at home they can do what they wish but they don't get to determine how I approach things in my daycare. If that doesn't suit them, they are welcome to find somewhere that does let them set the rules.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    Learning any new skills has it's good days and bad days. It's a process. I am sure they didn't push the child back onto it's bottom when they were learning to walk, if they fell over a couple of times. This is lazy parenting but it's the child who is being directly affected.

Here, once we start toilet training, there's no going back. Real underwear from day one. I would be telling the parents that at home they can do what they wish but they don't get to determine how I approach things in my daycare. If that doesn't suit them, they are welcome to find somewhere that does let them set the rules.
    This! Any new skill needs practice. Nobody ties down a baby til they can walk, or tapes their mouth shut til they can talk. I start the toileting process once they can walk (talk about it, change them in the bathroom, let them sit on the potty while I take out a fresh diaper). Once they have skills to pull down their pants I ask for trainers or pull ups (so that the child can change themselves, just with my help as needed). Going back to diapers sends the wrong message (it's ok to pee in your pants). I'd be firm with the parents that you don't want to disrupt their success in your home-so you will be continuing with your (successful) method.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kindredspirit For This Useful Post:

I can't even imagine putting a child back in diapers after they have successfully grasped toileting.
    It's best to let the parents know that dispersing again will o my confuse the child and accidents are bound to happen. Clothes are washable though, and so are kids. I don't see why they wouldn't be pleased with their child learning a new skill. They will need it for school very soon any way.