Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

After School Care

Hello Everyone, i hope you are all well! It's been a long time since i was on here. I left the home daycare scene in 2015 when i got a job outside of the home. My 1 yr contract turned into 2 yrs and now entering my 3rd year! I placed my own children in AM care and I am home in time to get them from school in the afternoon. It works out well for us.

A family I know well from my kids' school has had a change at work for both parents. Now they really only need care after school for 2 days a week, and no care in the morning as they are dropped off to school. Full Time Before and after school program is no longer necessary and They have asked me if I would consider watching the kids for their 2 kids (4 and 6). We are meeting for coffee at my house Saturday morning to discuss.

Questions:
    -What should I charge? No one in my area is doing only before and after care, so i have nothing to compare to. It could be 2- 2.5 hours.
    -what about receipts? I closed my business so how do I do this? I probably still have to provide receipts, right? How will that work with deductions/accounting?

Any insight is appreciated. Feel free to tell me if you would do it or not.

Euphoric !
    I can't really help with pricing but I would note that you need to consider how you will feed them. They will likely arrive hungry and they are capable of eating a lot. Either be ready to charge enough to cover your food costs or make it clear they have to send snacks for their kids.

Do you NEED this income? I feel like it could potentially be a draw on your limited time with your children after school and could also impact the alone time your children get after being at school all day. So I would seriously consider your children's thoughts on this.

I would also be aware that 2 days could become 3 days...could become... Are you prepared to either take one extra days of care or refuse their request?

While it is great to be able to help out families we know, it is important to make sure it is in YOUR best interests. The family sacrifices we make to provide childcare make sense when we need the income, but can be a bit burden on the family if we are merely doing it to help others out.

-What should I charge?
    $10 to $20 per day

-what about receipts?
    By law you have to issue receipts for all fees they pay you, and you have to claim it all.
    You will need to do a receipt per child, not per family

I closed my business so how do I do this?
    write up a contract per child
    create policies (late fees, if the child is sick, pd days or other school closures, your time off, stats etc.)

I probably still have to provide receipts, right?
    Yes, its the law

How will that work with deductions/accounting?
    keep all receipts, untility bills, etc to deduct a % or all off depending on what it is. I use an accountant to do my taxes, but there are lots of providers who do them themselves.

For help with contracts, policies, etc check out Running a High Quality Home Daycare Business

Expansive...
    This is extra money that you will have to pay TAXES on ......Do you REALLY NEED IT ?
    you could meet her for coffee and say you need to talk it over with your husband , that way you know what she needs and an overview of her needs- then go home and talk to your husband and also get the kids view as they may say they don't like ...... and then decide what you want/ need too.