Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

One family, 3rd time coming with pink eye.

I'm not sure what to do here. Same family, 3rd time a child has come with pink eye (over 6 months, so it's not continuous). Either it's not obvious til midday (when I realise I have cleaned their eye and the discharge returned), or they told me it was allergies (2nd instance) and I realized midday that it was not. This time the eye was a bit crusty in the am and mom apologized that she didn't wash her face-by 10am it was much worse, clearly red eye and yellow drainage.

The last 2 instances I had to close for a day after my own children got it (and refund all fees for that day as per policy). This time I sent a pic to mom through our app. It's the 1yo this time-who still mouths toys, so realistically, every child has already been exposed at this point in the day. Now what? Clean everything tonight and make the infected child stay home? Close for the day (at my expense) to deeply clean and to ensure everyone is home for the 3-day incubation period (and no one with symptoms can come on Tuesday)? And do I say anything further to the family that keeps getting it?

What would you do?

1) have child picked up asap (payment is still due for the day)
    2) while waiting for child to be picked up put the child in a play pen with a few washable toys
    3) inform all other clients, so they can keep an eye out for it.
    4) if your kids get keep them separated from the daycare if possible. If not possible close for the day.
    5) wash all toys that you know the child has touched or might have touched
    6) wash everyone's hands and faces
    7) tell pink eye family that they need to check their child's eyes before coming from now on. If they send their child with pink eye again (signs showing before arrival) they will be terminated. If signs show up after drop off they will not be terminated.
    If they are unsure if its pink eye they MUST inform you at the door and you will make the call whether or not the child has to stay home.

This is my policy:
    Pink Eye and Conjunctivitis
    Children are not allowed to attend daycare with eyes that are red and/or eyes that are weeping with clear/yellow or cloudy drainage.

Your child can return to daycare, once all the following criteria has been meet:

- Eyes must be completely free of drainage both running and dried drainage around their eyes before they can return to daycare.
    - I do not accept Dr.'s notes allowing children to return to daycare after treating conjunctivitis if the redness and drainage are still present.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Child needs to be picked up and excluded for 24 hours after medication (eye drops) has started.

Starting to feel at home...
    Thanks! It was already lunch time, so after eating I popped her in her play pen, got the other kids to their cots, then bagged up every toy that was out this am, and sprayed down all the furniture/fixtures and bathroom with disinfectants. Then I made up a picnic snack, so when she woke, everyone went outside and stayed outside til pick up (thankfully a beautiful day!) and I just kept wiping the tot's hands/face with baby wipes as needed.

I did decide tomorrow I will close to finish cleaning, but also to give a 4-day weekend. Pink eye has a 3 day incubation, so I know that any child that gets it will be treated before Tuesday. The sick child is not getting a refund though-and the mom agreed! That's a win. She also apologized that it happened again. That alone made me feel much better. It's a lot of work left to clean all the materials, but I'm also looking forward to some time alone with my youngest tomorrow morning.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kindredspirit For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I did have a preg parent who got pink eye 3 times in a month so she ended up throwing out her eye makeup and washing her pillowcases in hot water etc

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by kindredspirit View Post
    thanks! It was already lunch time, so after eating i popped her in her play pen, got the other kids to their cots, then bagged up every toy that was out this am, and sprayed down all the furniture/fixtures and bathroom with disinfectants. Then i made up a picnic snack, so when she woke, everyone went outside and stayed outside til pick up (thankfully a beautiful day!) and i just kept wiping the tot's hands/face with baby wipes as needed.

I did decide tomorrow i will close to finish cleaning, but also to give a 4-day weekend. Pink eye has a 3 day incubation, so i know that any child that gets it will be treated before tuesday. The sick child is not getting a refund though-and the mom agreed! That's a win. She also apologized that it happened again. That alone made me feel much better. It's a lot of work left to clean all the materials, but i'm also looking forward to some time alone with my youngest tomorrow morning.
    enjoy your thanksgiving weekend

Euphoric !
    Three strikes your out .... I would not allow the child into care with discharge coming from eyes .... clearly this parent is not honest and I would turn away at the door and say sorry but I can't take the chance again ... and I would still charge her if you close since it's her fault .... tell her if she brings it in again she will have to find new care