Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Allergic Reaction

Hey ya'll

I have a dck who aquired an allergic reaction Monday night. (She was not in my care this day). Tuesday she was kept home and mom took her to emerg. seems to be a reaction to her new jammies that were not washed before she wore them to bed. (Of course this is an assumption because she has never reacted to anything before and it was likely not a food allergy as it was contained to her body, not her face.)
    Doc told Mom just an allergic reaction, and prescribed meds and benedryl. She now has hives all over her face, hands, arms, legs, everywhere! She could have them for weeks apparantely.
    My concern is other parents. Of course if you see this kid covered in a rash, would you not be VERY concerned abuot your own kids health!? I will tell them don't worry, its not a virus or infection, but just an allergic reaction.
    Would you still ask that this child be kept home until rash has dissappeared, or do you think the other parents will be okay with the girl being at daycare?
    There are no other symptoms, no fever etc

Thanks for input

Shy
    if an allergic reaction is all it is than it is nothing that can harm other kids they can not catch it therefore there is no reason that the child cant come to day care just reassure the other parents that it is from an allergy

Expansive...
    This happened to my daughter as well and contact dermatitis can look really bad but in short is harmless. Send out a letter to the parents explaining the situation to the paretns and let them know all is well!

Euphoric !
    The fact it is hives means it is more likely an allergic reaction and not something contagious so I wouldn't exclude but make sure mom signs for benadryl so the child keeps the amount up in her system. If it was a rash and the doctor saying probably a reaction I would exclude the child till we knew for sure.

Expansive...
    My policy states that children with a rash must be kept home until it has been deemed not contagious by a physician.
    It sounds like she has been to the doctor and told it is not contagious so you have nothing to worry about.
    I think most parents will understand.
    I don't think there are grounds to ask the child not to come to daycare in this case since it will do no harm

Starting to feel at home...
    If it is a reaction I would still take the child and just explain to the other parents. I have one little girl who has psorisis(sp) broke out really bad at Christmas last year and she looked like she had chicken pox for six months, I had people asking about it all the time and lots of parents when we were out swimming just shooting me dirty looks. To be honest it really made me mad this poor little girl will suffer with this and people are sooo judgemental why don't you just ask what it is instead of assuming. If I was the parent I would certainly be annoyed if you wanted to disallow my child from coming to daycare over an allergic reaction.

Euphoric !
    I agree with what the others have said, except that I would say that if the child is aggrivated and itching and uncomfortable and therefore making your day difficult, then she should be home until the itching subsides so that her parents can give her soothing baths, etc to help her feel better. Also, I would make sure to get her parents' permission to tell the other parents what her condition is, just to cover yourself as I don't normally talk to parents about other children in my care.

Euphoric !
    As long as she can participate in our daily activities, and she is not in discomfort, I would have her. But as kangaroomama said, if she can't; she may be better off at home.
    I would let parents know that it's not contagious. Don't give details, that's none of their concern. But it is their concern as to whether or not their child is being exposed to something, so I would put their minds at ease.