Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Child in Temp care Elsewhere First

I received an inquiry today from a family that lives a few min away from me. They need care for their 12 month old child in January '18 . My ad states my earliest opening is next Sept. They have advised that they could put their child in temporary care until then. Have you ever signed up a child who needed to be placed elsewhere temporarily? Any concerns? TX!

Euphoric !
    I would be weary. Nine months in temp care is a LONG time to get used to that temp care and decide the change isn't worth it.

If you do proceed I would ask where the child will be for those nine months (perhaps they have grandparents). I would also ensure you have a big deposit and a solid contract with some terms stating that they loose their deposit if they leave your care before 12months of service so they don't just use up their paid deposit's worth of care then jump back to where they are prior to Sept.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Yeah, I’d be cautious about that one. Why would someone uproot their child after they have settled in for that length of time? Contract and non refundable deposit now, and that way, you’re not at a loss if she changes her mind.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy ECE mommy For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I think that even a strong contract and non refundable deposit wouldn't make it up. My reasons are the following:

1. If you process this method then your reputation could also be damaged (especially if they're living so close to you) there will always be an especulation that you're though with your contracts and keeping money even in the event of them changing their minds. (Believe me I've heard a lot stories about caregivers doing this and some parents also asked if here is a way or somewhere to report this). And as you know the word gets spread out even using social media and this would damage your image for future clients.

2. In most cases a two week or month of deposit doesn't make up for a empty spot that at times takes more time to fill up taking sometimes months to find the right fit or client.

My suggestion would be to assure the family that you have them in your priority list and to keep in touch for reassurance in five months or so. Or you will get in touch with them when someone also interested wants the spot. I have also placed a date in my wailing list usually my priorities are:

Future second siblings have for sure the spot (and only if it is full time)

Any family interested in my spots are placed in a waiting list (first comes first served basis) and they know this. I also tell them that in four months I will keep in touch.

Approx. Four months or three I start contacting them to confirm or to proceed to the next family. I usually make just one day of interviews with all the interested families I also give them enough time to think and decide. I strongly recommend to visit also other settings or homes before my interview so, it helps them to make the right choice. And last we proceed with signing up the contract and security deposit checks etc.

And even so I still keep my waiting list. (Just in case)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Peacefulbird For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by ebhappydc View Post
    Have you ever signed up a child who needed to be placed elsewhere temporarily? Any concerns? TX!
    On of my current clients took temp care until a space opened in my day home. Their child was also going to be new to day care so there were no issues in terms of them having a prior experience that turned soured. It was simply that they wanted to come here, I didn't have a space when they needed it and they decided that they would go elsewhere until a space opened up. Her mat leave ended at the beginning of December, I did not have a space until the following September when I knew a child would be aging out.

Like you, this family lives very close to me, they have to drive by my house to get anywhere from their home, it was purely a matter of this being the preferred day home in their preferred location. It's worked out great. They are a lovely family.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

I offer temporary care for clients waiting for spots in other home daycares or centres. If they family can find a good provider who is willing to offer temporary care this can work out very well.

However, if the family doesn't tell the temp provider that the care will only be temporary this can turn out bad for everyone. So if you are going to take them on make sure they are up front with the other provider.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    All very good points to consider. Thank you!

Expansive...
    You could keep them in mind for the spot and not do deposit just yet and then when you are ready to fill the spot get in touch with them and double check with them IF they still want the spot at your daycare. Give them enough time so they can give the required notice at the temp daycare.
    If they don't want the spot at your daycare then you can advertized as planned...... but they may want the spot as you are closer to them.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    You could keep them in mind for the spot and not do deposit just yet and then when you are ready to fill the spot get in touch with them and double check with them IF they still want the spot at your daycare. Give them enough time so they can give the required notice at the temp daycare.
    If they don't want the spot at your daycare then you can advertized as planned...... but they may want the spot as you are closer to them.
    I did it the other way around!

Because they wanted September space and I do everything possible to avoid that high competition time, I try to fill September spaces as far in advance as possible.

For my client who was going elsewhere for temp care, I took double the deposit I normally would because I was concerned that once settled in the temp space, they might not want to move. Because it was the parents who wanted this space, they understood my reservations. They were happy to pay double my usual deposit, understood it would be non-refundable if they changed their mind and also that if they didn't tell me 6 weeks before their start date here, they would also pay for those 6 weeks while I sought someone else in the busy market.

This was their proposal to reassure me that this really was where they wanted to be and that even if their temp place was wonderful, that they were totally committed to coming here.

All in all, if they had changed their minds, it would have cost them 2x normal two weeks deposit, plus 6 weeks of fees = 10 weeks. Having that offer from them, in writing, made me confident that the temp care wouldn't cause me issues down the line.