Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home... little rascals's Avatar

Dealing with infections

Some of the children i care for keep getting ear and sinus infections. Should they be able to come to dayhome?

Euphoric !
    Ear infections are not contagious to my knowledge and as long as the child is feeling well enough and not in pain, I would accept them. I am not sure if sinus infections are contagious, but again, I would say as long as they are well enough to not need tylenol or advil then they can come. I will give antibiotics, but not over the counter meds. So if there is fever etc, the child has to stay home.

Euphoric !
    Some rules say 24 hours on medication (ie 3 doses) before returning to care but I have found that that doesn't make much of a difference since the child was ill before starting so germs have been spread and the one extra day doesn't prevent enough for the hassles. Depends on the cause of the infection on how contagious but in a family often only one has the ear infection. In a daycare group if it is spreading assume that they all came in contact with the same germ such as at a playgroup.

Sinus infection is an issue if there is a lot of nasal discharge - that is what is full of germs that gets spread around.

Generally I let them come if they can manage the day without needing too much extra attention. If I ask a parent to take a child to the clinic for confirmation and potentially antibiotics and they don't then they are sent home to deal with the child since that isn't fair to any of us.

Starting to feel at home... little rascals's Avatar
    Thanks for your replies. Im pretty much on the same page. Just wasnt sure if sinus infection is contagious or not. Ear infections i can deal with as long as the child is up and about.
    As with the sinus infection i was cleaning the nose every 20 sec. and trying to make sure everything was clean that they were touching so that it wouldnt spread.

Euphoric !
    These infections can be either viral (most of the time) or bacterial. And there is almost no way to tell which one it is, at first. Since most of them are viral (contagious) the medical community is giving antibiotics less and less. And thank heaven for that! The catch; chances are the virus has already been passed around.
    You can enforce/enact a 24hours on meds rule. Turn kids away that have fever PLUS runny nose, other cold symptoms, etc. My concern would be the kids comfort level. My handbook says that if the child is not able to participate in our daily activities, then they can't be here. Sounds harsh, but for me, I just think that a child that ill needs to be with mom/dad.

Expansive...
    Sinus infections are usually secondary to allergies or a cold, but can make kids (and adults really miserable) I know I have one now!