Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Snacks and lunchtime procedures.

So I'm just wondering how everyone handles their lunch and snack times. If a child has finished before the others or refuses to eat do you let them out of their chair as soon as they say they are done? Or do you keep them in till everyone is done ? I'm finding letting them out as soon as they are done are causing some children not to finish their snack or meal cause they want to go play. Or they won't even try. Thanks in advance.

Shy
    I have always let them be done whenever they are done. They must at least try 1 bite of each food on their plate for how old they are, so my dd who's 4 must try four bites of each before she can say she's done. I have some really good eaters, so it's not usually an issue. They must clear their plates, water bottles/milk cups and clean up with a wipe before they can 'be done'. Then they have to play in the playroom, away from the table, while others are finishing up. I have some that eat fast and some that eat slow, so it works for me this way.

Euphoric !
    For the most part we stay at the table till all are done. For those that gobble they are reminded they will need to sit and wait because they didn't eat with manners. For those that finish everything on their plate, they are offered a dessert. I dish up the plates according to age and appetite so no excuse for not finishing. One the majority are finishing I remind the slow eaters that time is almost up and that at a certain point declare the meal done, remove plates, wash everyone up and go on with the day.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    In my current group, 4 all finish at about the same time, then I have one extremely slow eater. My rule is that everyone has to do their very best to finish their food since I know about how much they eat, start with small portions but always have seconds available if anyone is extra hungry or if it's their favourite thing. But I don't make them clean their plates or force food on them.

Anyway, I do let the other 4 children go play in the toyroom after they are washed up, do the potty/diaper changes, sometimes have all 4 tucked into bed while the slow eater finishes. Then I wash him up and tell him he's out of time and it's bedtime.

I've had one other slow eater like this and she drove me batty, so now I've learned to relax and choose my priorities so I'm still keeping us all on schedule but the slow eater gets as much food as possible.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

apples and bananas
    I keep them in their chair until everyone is done except for 2nd snack. I will often let them out when their done. The afternoon snack is much more relaxed and casual. Everyone is excited to go home. It's harder to keep them still and focused.

I feed the slow eaters first. I will put their plates down and let them get a head start and then I will sometimes stall before I feed the quick ones.

Everyone needs to eat a little of everything.

Euphoric !
    For snacks, I let them go when they are done and they go to the playroom to play. They usually finish around the same time though and I can see/hear them from the kitchen.

For lunch, they clean up the playroom while I am putting the food on plates. Then they are called in and eat. I try not to give dessert until most are finished. Once they are done lunch they are cleaned up and sent to the playroom to read books or sometimes I will put a cartoon on. They are not allowed to play with any toys as this is calm down time before nap. I usually have the playroom light off as well. Once the kitchen is all clean and dishes are done, I read a couple of books and get them ready for nap.

Do you have a set time for how long they have to eat or a set amount? I have a little boy that could eat for atleast two hours straight. I've talked to his mom about it and she says just leave him in the chair till he's done. I tested it one rainy day and just stopped after the two hours cause it was getting close to lunch time. I think she does this at home all the time. He's a big boy. He's not even a year and a half. He's bigger the my almost 5 year old. He's almost 40 pounds. Any thoughts? I don't like leaving a child hungry but we have activities planned and only am hour between lunch and nap time. Ugh

Euphoric !
    I personally don't have a set time but I do allow them to finish eating while I tidy up and do the dishes. If they are not done by the time I'm finished I would take the food away but they are usually done by then anyways.

Expansive...
    I have certain kids who would love to play rather than eat. I make them sit at the table for meals. They don't have to eat but they have to sit there because it is good manners and I don't want them going hungry on account of toys/play time.

I usually expect them to sit there until about 60% of the meal/eaters are done and then I say "okay you can go play now."

If one or two children are off playing then the other kids also want to get up and play and you get an empty table pretty quick

Outgoing
    I have a 2 yr dcb who will finish eating one of the offered foods for lunch and ask for more of that food but not try any of his other foods. Eg. He will keep asking for more chicken but leave the home fries and peas, or rice and any veggie. Do u keep giving him 2nds and 3rds of the only food he wants? I guess the concern I have is he'll be slow to accept the other foods in time if he's only given the foods he wants. Although chicken is a good food to fill up on I guess. I just don't want to enable too much pickiness. Tx