Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Which age group do you think is easy to look after?

I have always loved babies and toddlers. But I can tell you from my experience that they are not easy at all! Today another dck has started. I always thought that "I have seen all" but this kid proved me wrong I'm exhausted! Not because I took him out and walked non stop almost 2 hours. It's because his non stop(believe me, I'm not exaggerating) crying. His mother left him around 8:30am, he didn't cry when she left. I was thinking "great it is going to be a good day" boy i was wrong! Just after about 5mins he started and he did cry non stop!
    The boy is just a year old and is very sweet so his parents'. I will do my very best to make him feel comfortable and adjust here. But I don't know how long I can handle this if he carry on crying like this.

I'm very tired. I want to go to sleep but I don't want to cause if i do then i wont be able to sleep at night.

Maybe I should accept 2+ years old children into my care. At least you can communicate with them and explain them things if they cry or whatever.

So my question to you is, do you prefer to look after older children then small babies, toddlers?

Thank you.
    Cocoon

Euphoric !
    I much prefer to start them as young as possible as they adjust more quickly and learn your way of doing things (rules, routines, food, etc). Even a 2 or 3 year old might cry a lot in the first days depending on personality. I have a 9 month old who started last month and has never cried...just smiles and sleeps...he's a dream. It depends a lot on the child, not the age. I had an almost 2 year old come for a half day on a drop-in basis last month and he cried to the point of vomiting for the entire morning...and he was strong and resisted getting into the car seat when we went to pick up my son from preschool...it was not a pretty sight. I'd be willing to bet that the little one you just took on will stop crying after about a week or so. It is normal. It will pass and then you will have a very well-adjusted child.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocoon View Post
    I have always loved babies and toddlers. But I can tell you from my experience that they are not easy at all! Today another dck has started. I always thought that "I have seen all" but this kid proved me wrong I'm exhausted! Not because I took him out and walked non stop almost 2 hours. It's because his non stop(believe me, I'm not exaggerating) crying. His mother left him around 8:30am, he didn't cry when she left. I was thinking "great it is going to be a good day" boy i was wrong! Just after about 5mins he started and he did cry non stop!
    The boy is just a year old and is very sweet so his parents'. I will do my very best to make him feel comfortable and adjust here. But I don't know how long I can handle this if he carry on crying like this.

I'm very tired. I want to go to sleep but I don't want to cause if i do then i wont be able to sleep at night.

Maybe I should accept 2+ years old children into my care. At least you can communicate with them and explain them things if they cry or whatever.

So my question to you is, do you prefer to look after older children then small babies, toddlers?

Thank you.
    Cocoon
    It realy depends on the child. The transition of a 12 month old can be hard on all but once they are comfortable and get to know you and your rules it's easy sailing. Taking on an older child can be more challenging as they will try and push boundries more and most damage can already be done if terribly spoiled etc. LOL

I have kids with me since 12 months and they are like my own!

Euphoric !
    If it's any consolation, the children that start out asserting themselves and crying can become your best most well adjusted children in the long run because right from day one they are taking responsibility for themselves. Recognize the child is angry at the parents for leaving him and that it has nothing to do with you. Do not feel compelled to try and "make it all better" by carrying all day or being at his beck and call. It is ok to let him be on the floor or in a playpen with toys or highchair with snack or toy and let him cry if "he chooses" - remember it is his choice to cry. And it will be his choice to stop. Actually the less you try to cater to him the faster it stops in many cases. Trying to make it better actually confuses the child into thinking there really is something wrong and worth crying about. When the crying becomes just for his own benefit he may lose interest and start to play. Chances are he has not been left by his parents with anyone else very often if all other than well known people like grandparents. If you can hang in there is should get better and fingers crossed it is quickly. My screamer that started in Sept took two weeks and now she is just a dream. Her screaming was so bad her parents admitted when they came to pick her up on day one that they discussed all the way over if she would be allowed to come back the second day or would I be handing them there walking papers because they knew their child so well. Over time caregivers can learn to tune out much of the crying too and that helps a ton also.

If I have my choice I will take them at 9-10 months over a year old. My next favourite is between 15-18 months. After that they have learned too many bad habits. I would much rather start a 1 year old than and 2-3 year old for the same reason others have given. They learn my rules and expectations right from the beginning.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I had 5 - 7 yos and at first I thought piece of cake, no diapers, no naps, no strollers, school on most days and more flexibility to do special things over the summer.

But, attitude, and the "we dont do that at home" and "you arent my teacher", disrespect for me, my house and disregard for my rules that are more strict than they are used too.... I'm tired just thinking about it! LOL!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lilac For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    My fav age of kids is 18 months. They are in this cute stage, can understand most of what you say, start to communicate and can find enjoyment in everything. Love 18 month olds before they hit the 2s and 3s. The 2s are still okay 2 but 3s is touch and go because they get into this mode where they want to be totally independent but yet they aren't developmentally ready to make all their own decisions or do everything themselves so it leads to frustration and tears and no one is happy.

I agree w Spixie. I love 18 months-ish! Actually 1.5 - 2.5 is my favourite. They are old enough to do things with, but mostly still sweet and unjaded.

Expansive...
    Ahhhh now I see the other thread you were talking about.
    This thread along with the other one is very reminiscent of what I went through in my day yesterday. The new DCK that started is also 1 year old...seemed fine at drop off and suddenly became a velcro on me and would scream like murder if I even broke contact.
    I was about to call my own daycare providers that I used when my children were 12 and thank them because they must have had a He&& of a day that first week or month too but they never let on. I think anyone transitioning a 12 month old deserves to get a gold medal at this point. LOL

Euphoric !
    Every time I am transitioning a new 12 month old I just keep thinking of those stupid government think they know it alls that came up with this lame brain idea, lol, that 12 months was the ideal time to turn a child's world upside down. Any child rearing book will tell you that just as a 12 month old is about to experience their first steps, first words, first steps into self care like feeding, etc. that is of utmost importance that they have the security of familarity to do it. So hence we have the totally devastated child that is suddenly thrust into the unforgiving world and we wonder why they have issues. But reality being what it is daycare is just another milestone that while they may not like it is a part of their new reality and such is life. How well they cope will depend on what skills mom has taught them before 12 months. We do the best we can with what we are presented with. And in the grand scheme of things most of them come out the other end at school age well adjusted inspite of us all. I so miss getting young babies into daycare like when I started.

I like all potty-trained kids best but not yet school-aged. So, three to five year olds would be my fave age.