Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Parents picking up children late?

How do you handle parents not picking up their kids on time?

Haven't had a problem as of yet. But I would remind them of what is stated in the manual (and have it close by). If it's after my grace period, I will politely tell them that on their next cheque, they will have to add so many dollars.

Hopefully that helps.

I actually suggested that but the parent took it very offensively!

Then you have to state that you are indeed a business. They wouldn't waste their lawyers/doctors time, would they?

I own two busineses, and I make sure that my parents understand that they have to be on time, as I do run the other business in the evenings.

Tell the parents that they are intruding into family time (and we wouldn't want that), and not being on time puts pressure on your family. Try to explain while being as positive as possible (very hard to do, I know!).

As stated in my manual:
    "I will provide parents with a five minute grace period, then $1/minute according to my clock (which is programmed to the Ottawa Weather Network).
    If there is bad weather while you are driving, please call me to inform me that you are running late; therefore you will only be charged an extra $5, and after 20 minutes, and then it will become $1/minute after the 20 minutes."
    Last edited by Play and Learn; 02-24-2011 at 10:05 AM. Reason: needed to add more

Thanks that helps! I will send you a private message...in need of some advice!

Expansive...
    I am sorry that some parents are abusing your business. When I was going to be late- I always called-as soon as I knew I was going to be late.

Every time a forget to pick my child for school my best friend goes and tak him.

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    I don't have many problems with parents picking up late and rarely ever have to charge a late fee. My families have a few different options:

a) no notice and pay $1 per minute after pick up time with a min charge of $10
    b) notify me shortly before pick up time and pay $10 per hour
    c) let me know asap and my oldest daughter will take over childcare and the charge is $5 per 30 min.

If the road conditions are bad then I do give my families a 15 min grace period just because many of my families have to travel at least 15 - 20 min to get here from work. In poor weather that time can increase to 1 hour.
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com

Starting to feel at home...
    Just started with a new family. its a long story, started in January, I was supposed to start with her in Feb, but the family situation changed which delayed her start with me til last week. In her original inquiries, she stated pick up between 5/5:15 most days, but occasionally when her fiance got done work early it would be earlier. This is why I like to do a lot of my communication via email b/c then if I forget I have it to referr too! Anyhow, every day since she started its been 5:30 - 5:45, one day it was 6:10 (however she did call to tell me she'd be late). One day she was here at 5 so I know she can get here for 5 (I know she is done work at 4, I'm not sure what is taking her so long to get home)

Anyhow, I didnt have a late policy set out in my hand book, I advertise that I'm available til 5pm, but upon interviewing I verbally agree, that shorty after 5 is okay on occasion, but if someone tells me 5:30 consistantly (which if they are late means 6) I generally say no. I have small kids and find that even that half hour interfers with our evening activities and getting everyone in bed at a decent time, and seriously, i"ve been on the clock since 6:30 in the morning!.... so since I havent set out actual "late fee" policy, how would you approach it?

My other problem is, I have another family who most of the time picks up between 4:30 and 5 however, about once a week it is 6pm, but they always let me know, and if I have something going on, they have their grandparents pick up their child. I dont want to institute a late fee policy on them b/c I feel they courteous with my family time in the evening.... but how do I do that with one family and not another?

Quote Originally Posted by lilac View Post
    so since I havent set out actual "late fee" policy, how would you approach it?
    I put in my manual:

"There will be occasional revisions to this handbook and the accompanying contract at which time you will be asked to sign a new contract. I reserve the right to make changes in policies as I deem necessary. You will be notified, in writing, of any changes that may occur."

Why can you not put that at the end of your manual (I don't mind if you use it), and then you can add things or make changes to things if need be. You have the parents read it over, sign/initial it, and then you can use it as backup!

Quote Originally Posted by lilac View Post
    My other problem is, I have another family who most of the time picks up between 4:30 and 5 however, about once a week it is 6pm, but they always let me know, and if I have something going on, they have their grandparents pick up their child. I dont want to institute a late fee policy on them b/c I feel they courteous with my family time in the evening.... but how do I do that with one family and not another?
    Simple, how would they know?!?! If they ask, tell them to mind their own business! Sorry, but it's my problem and not yours! Might sound mean - but really, who's the boss here?!?!?