Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Terminating contract

Hello,
    I need some advice to make sure that I am doing the right thing. I have a parent who is gossiping about me and trying to turn other parents against me. I asked her several times to direct her concerns to me and i have open communication policy but it is getting out of hand. I can not take this anymore since this is unhealthy and creating a negative atmosphere in our small community and troubled other parents and effected their personal life as well as mine. I want to terminate her contract and in my policy stated that my childcare can terminate a child contract for any reason that is consider valid. Is this enough good reason?
    I am an educator who worked in this field for past 18 years and only 3 years ago open my home childcare, I have 14 pages of policy and procedures in their contract and i do everything by the book. Here in Ontario you have an option to be licensed or not and I chose to not to be. I had a random surprise visit from ministry of education and they were thrilled with everything I provide them that a licensed daycare required.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Tia View Post
    I want to terminate her contract and in my policy stated that my childcare can terminate a child contract for any reason that is consider valid. Is this enough good reason?
    You can indeed. It's a bit wishy washy but you do have the statement that yhou can terminate for any reason, so do it.

If you ever decide to revise your contracts/policies, I would suggest a slight adjustment to say that "This contract can be terminated by either party for any reason with X weeks notice. The notice period is to allow time for alternative care to be found and an alternative client to be found. Fees are due during the notice period, regardless of attendance."

I also have a further paragraph in mine that states I can terminate immediately for non-payment, dosing and dropping, late collection of child, and any aggression (physical or verbal) directed to myself, any child in my care or any family member. In the event of immediate termination, there is a penalty of X weeks in leui of notice as it's entirely in the control of the client to avoid this situation.

I would strongly suggest, telling the parent in person but then following it up with an e-mail confirming the details such as final day of care, when fees are due, how much, etc. This means it is documented that you have given the appropriate notice to end the contract but also you have been clear about fees and end dates.

Expansive...
    Yes absolutely terminate!
    This person is essentially defaming your character. I have areas in my contract that specifies I can terminate if a parent is disrespectful to myself/ my family( as well as many other reasons) You are absolutely justified! Do it soon!