Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Client Requesting Overtime... What to charge?

One of my new clients just received a new job offer which is great however they are wondering if I can do one day a week to approx 7pm. I think I am going to take it as right now I am already having a hard time filling my 2 vacant spots...
    What do you feel would be reasonable to charge? I ask parents to pick up the latest by 6pm everyday. my rate is $40/day at the moment.

Thank you, your input is greatly appreciated

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by samslittleones View Post
    One of my new clients just received a new job offer which is great however they are wondering if I can do one day a week to approx 7pm. I think I am going to take it as right now I am already having a hard time filling my 2 vacant spots...
    What do you feel would be reasonable to charge? I ask parents to pick up the latest by 6pm everyday. my rate is $40/day at the moment.

If you are sure you really want this commitment, then consider charging babysitting rates after hours. Here, that's $10 an hour per child.

Personally, I think that hour will be a long one since 6pm close is quite late anyway.

The other consideration is your late fee - for me, it's $1 a min so while this would be an arranged lateness, I wouldn't want to be too cheap in case she then asks for a second extended day.

If you want $15-$20 for the extra hour, tell her that. It's your personal time after all. If she doesn't want to pay that, then she can find someone to pick up the child when you close. She knew what your hours were before accepting the new job.

Make sure you document this change properly and are clear that it's only for the one day a week, what that day is, that they can't switch the later day and that 7pm is the absolute cut off.

And please, consider if you need a get out clause if you don't want to do this indefinitely because while it's tempting if you have spaces, once your day care is full, you are going to be wiped out by 6pm and might resent the change.
    Last edited by Suzie_Homemaker; 01-19-2018 at 04:13 PM.

Euphoric !
    There are MANY things to factor in here. Do you typically feed supper to your children that leave at 6pm? This child will need supper by 7pm, so if you don't normally provide it then you need to factor that meal into your costs for the extra hour.

Also I would have a completely separate contract for this hour of care noting many important details. The firm 7pm, the days it is applicable for (not every day of care) and I would also note changes of care during this extra hour. If you do not watch tv during regular daycare hours but plan to use it while cooking supper or after supper until the parents arrive make it known. I would just be clear that daycare ends at 6pm and then it is an hour of more relaxed care. I would be weary of keeping the daycare routine going for one child until 7pm (you'll be drained). From 6-7pm have some free play while you get supper on the table, eat, then tv or free play while you clean the kitchen kind of deal.

As mentioned make sure you have an escape clause for when it becomes too much, which is why I suggest a separate childcare contract in addition to your usual daycare.

If you are looking for more income due to empty spaces and do plan to take this route maybe consider offering care to the other families as well? Give them all a date night or night to do groceries or go to the gym. In which case you'd make more money to make it worth it. But again, have it as a separate care in addition to your home daycare that you can end when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by samslittleones View Post

I assume then you would be feeding the child? I would say $20-$25 an hour. It is overtime and includes another meal. I would immediately switch to an hourly rate equal to or a little more than the provincial minimum wage, which in Ontario is currently $14 an hour. Add on to that the cost of a meal and the convenience to the parent/premium service, along with it being after a possible 9 or 10 hours of care prior to the extended time, I think $20-$25 for that hour is fair.

Expansive...
    Make the fees steep to begin with, as you never know when this might extend to multiple nights a week. It’s a slippery slope once you say yes the first time. My late fees are $20 per half hour, and really no amount of money will make up for that child being in your care for an hour after closing. For me, it’s too much of an inconvenience to have an extra child here to infringe on my own family’s time for dinner/extra curricular activities/homework/baths etc.
    Decide what’s right for you depending on what time you open each day, and consider if you can truly
    Work that long of a day.

Euphoric !
    Having a second contract to cover just the extended hours is a brilliant idea. That would enable you to clearly state what day this arrangement was for, what the extended hours were, whether or not you are feeding this child from your food or if it's up to the parents to supply supper, what the fees are but more importantly, it gives you the ability to give notice on just the extended hours vs your regular service if it gets too much.
    While the parents having that one later finish might well be dropping off later for this one day, you aren't actually gaining time off as you will have all the other children anyway.

Thank you, I also hadn't thought about the extra meal or separate contract, Thank you so much for your help!