Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Day Home Wait List

Has anyone found a way to run a wait list successfully?

When I am contacted by a potential client and don't have spaces, I am often asked if that family can be added to my wait list.

I have swung from having one and not having one because as a low turnover day home, I never seem to have a space when those on the wait list require one. Most parents on a wait list want a space for a specific month. When I have a space I always find that it is after those on the wait list need care, or it's months before a wait list family need care and they are loathe to pay for a space to hold it or with just 4 weeks notice required from a departing client, those whose start dates fit with the vacancy have often contracted for elsewhere.

The only time I seem to get it right is when I know a child is aging out for Grade Primary and so of course can contract many months in advance of that child departing.

Do you have a wait list?
    Do you find it useful when you have a space?
    How do you manage it?

Thanks

Expansive...
    I have one, but like you said, it’s difficult to actually get the timing to line up. It always seems that a space opens and people don’t want to pay for it early. Also for us in Ontario, we have the 2 under 2 years rule, and could have many waiting, but we are at ratio for the babies, so could only offer the space to a child over 2 years, which we have nobody waiting for.
    The easiest spots to predict movement in, are the September starts due to kids leaving for school. There seems to be high demand for people like teachers to grab those spots.

Expansive...
    I have a waitlist and it seems like a false one as when you call them up they found daycare

I take care of infant and toddlers and they move on in Sept when there are openings in the over 3 daycares but I get lots of emails for preg to be Moms and then with the year mat leave on too ....it is a case that it is too far in advance to know .

Outgoing
    I do have a waiting list, always worked amazing until last year. When reg. In Ontario changed (two years ago). Now I'm uncertain my waiting list as never before is empty. I think all the programs that opened around my house don't help either.

Anyway, I divide my waiting list in 12 months. I do take names, ages, and starting time dates and I place them in the month they want to start (if flexible I write that too); I had parents.coming just for a transition period while their child spot in a centre opens but, usually they decide to leave the child in my care.

I tell the parents that they are in my waiting list and I will contact (by phone or email or text)to them two to three months in advance if an opening occurs. And I just follow through. When I have openings I contact the closest date that was waiting, usually two or three families. I give them a time frame to think and decide (ex. You can decide and let me know within two days by Friday this opening will be passed onto the next family waiting); and I continue so on. Usually between the first and third family they take the spot right away.

As I do my interviews kind of open house showing my waiting list clients they basically know most of my policies and home.
    Making the process easier.

Also, my openings occur mostly for September, I'm open explaining this to parents and they can decide to get an alternative care (family or nanny, or homedaycares with part time spots).

My waiting list have helped me a lot especially when sudden changes happened (families moving, job loss, etc) When I do not have any openings, I send my message but also I send a list of caregivers in the area with openings or possible openings. When I see caregivers in parks or playgroups and they mention they have or will have openings i pass the inf. To my wailing list along with their contacts.
    Last edited by Peacefulbird; 01-27-2018 at 07:01 AM.

Outgoing
    I've had many on my 'waitlist', but only once did I call back families ( due to someone backing out of enrolment) and only one family came for an interview. They wanted part-time which I preferred not to offer (I advertise for full-time only but they were hoping I'd make exception). So I just ended up advertising again, and filled almost immediately. For me, the waitlist is more to give the parents who are frantically inquiring, some relief. Some sound so desperate. It rarely works out but at the time seems to offer some relief as they continue their search. As of late, the wait list has been quiet....
    Last edited by ebhappydc; 01-27-2018 at 07:53 AM.