Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Question Unlicensed daycare in Ontario, ratio question

I am very confused by the laws for unlicensed daycare in Ontario. I would mainly like to do just before and after school care during the school year. I will be taking one part-time during the day child, who is over two. I have 3 children of my own 9 years old, 7 years old and 2 years old. Can I only have an additional 2 children or can I have an additional 4 children? My understanding is that my 7-year-old and 9-year-old don't count in the maximum of 5, but my insurance company says that the daycare act says they do count. I can find information that says both. Please help!

1) insurance companies = some do include your own children until they are 13 yrs old. Others only include them until they are 6 yrs old as per the CCEYA. If your company is including your own children until they are 13yrs old I would change companies.

2) according to the CCEYA your 7 and 9 yr olds don't count in your numbers. You can have 4 daycare children (once you sort out your insurance). Your 2 yr old counts in your numbers until either attending kindergarten/grade one (school exemption) or on his/her 6th birthday.

School exemption

your child does NOT count:
    - your child is attending a full day kindergarten or grade one program
    - your child is in a publicly funded school
    - your child is 3.5yr to 5 yrs old
    - between the hours of 6:00am to 7:00pm Monday to Friday during the school yr (as of the first day of school to the last day of school)
    - you only have 1 or 0 children under 2 yrs old in your care when your child is home

Your child WILL count:
    - if you have 2 children under 2 in care when your child is home
    - between the hours of 7:01pm to 5:59am Monday to Friday during the school months
    - any time on Sat or Sun all year
    - during the summer (as of the day after the first day of school to the day before the first day of school)
    - your child is not in a publicly funded school
    - if your insurance company doesn't allow this exception (so check with them)