Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm pregnant

I'm pregnant

I just found out that I am pregnant. Not sure how to tell my daycare parents. I really don't want to lose them altogether. But they will need to find some other care for a month or two. What do I do?!

Outgoing
    You carry on as you do every day. If you want to still keep your homedaycare open and running, then check other alternatives ex: contract a teacher or ece or helper temporarily and you wil supervise, maybe you won't have much of an income but you will keep your clients.

Euphoric !
    Congratulations.

The facts : Depending on the time of year you are due, it's realistic to assume that you are going to lose some client's if closing for an extended period of time (regardless of why). For two months, some might be able to cobble together alternative solutions if during the summer and they teach or have teachers in the family who could take their children, or if they have grandparents who are available. For others, who don't have back up, the reality is they are going to have to find alternative care.

As a provider, I know I wouldn't take on a child for just a couple of months as transition is the hardest period of time. I don't know if others feel the same way. If they do, finding short term alternative care might be challenging and that runs the risk that once they move, they don't return.

You likely have considered all this so I think the first thing to do, is decide what you are going to do before communicating anything to client's. It would be hard to hear this from a provider if there's no plan in place as that leaves too many unanswered questions.

So :-

Otpions

1. Can you remain open with a paid helper coming in to the day home so there's no disruption to the clients? Would you even want an alternative adult in your home during these initial weeks with your new baby? While it might be that having a helper comes at a cost greater than the income you generate, that might be a viable cost if it keeps your client's in your business. Sometimes a short term loss is worthwhile. You might decide to bring that person in part-time or one day a week closer to your due date so parents and children get familiar with that person. I imagine this will work better if you have a separate day home space allowing you personal space with your child. It would be really hard if your day home is in your main living space as the children will be able to see you most of the day, and will be vying for your attention sooner than you are able/willing to give it. And you may find yourself, trapping yourself upstairs effectively limited around your own home.

2. Do you have a network of provider's locally who might consider short term placements/contracts that you could put your client's in touch with? While no, it's not your issue to find alternative care, having a relationship with the provider you are suggesting might reduce the odds of the alternative carer extending the contract, being willing to keep your client's long term.

3. See if there's someone considering opening a day home themselves, who might welcome a couple of months real experience regarding what that is actually going to be like.

4. If you decide to close entirely for a set period of time, be realistic about how long that will be. Once that decision is made, then you have to determine if you tell your client's in advance which risks them leaving and finding alternative care or if you wait as long as you dare which also risks them feeling blindsided and damages the open relationship you have. This is going to be driven by the relationship you have with the client's in your care.

5. If there's a real risk of losing all, then consider planning to re-open in the high demand times of year. In my area January and September seem to be the most popular starting dates. I don't know if you have noticed a pattern of demand in your area but timing your re-opening to coincide with these might be worthwhile to know you can fill back up promptly on reopening.

6. And this one is really "out there" but worth considering. What if you closed fairly soon and worked outside the home during your pregnancy in order to accumulate 900 hours needed for mat leave pay? I have a friend who did this for her third pregnancy. She decided against opting into EI payments since that would provide such a low income as a self employed person (55% of the average profit when her day home was open). By returning to the workforce, she had time to work enough hours to qualify for EI as an employee which has a better mat leave benefits and was therefore able to take the full year with her new baby. She will reopen fresh when her child reaches a year or she might return to work outside the home since having three children of her own now, limits the day care spaces so greatly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post: