Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Help with "deposit" contract wording please

Hi folks

I want to change my deposit in my contract. I currently have it worded as a non refundable deposit. To be applied to last two weeks of care. Child must be in care to use. If a family change their mind about started then deposit is lost. If two weeks notice is not given, deposit is lost.

I want to change this policy. I want it to be something along the lines of a holding fee which after 12 months/52 weeks of care can be applied to last two weeks of care. If a child is withdrawn within the 1 year period, this 2 weeks fees will not be applied to the last two weeks of care and all money is due as normal. If I give notice within thefirst year then money will be applied.

Any advice on what to call this "deposit" in my contract since I know there has been talk in the past about choosing words carefully.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by bright sparks; 03-20-2018 at 07:24 AM.

Euphoric !
    If care is terminated by the parent within the first 12 months of care then the two week deposit is forfeited.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    Hi folks

I want to change my deposit in my contract. I currently have it worded as a non refundable deposit. To be applied to last two weeks of care. Child must be in care to use. If a family change their mind about started then deposit is lost. If two weeks notice is not given, deposit is lost.

I want to change this policy. I want it to be something along the lines of a holding fee which after 12 months/52 weeks of care can be applied to last two weeks of care. If a child is withdrawn within the 1 year period, this 2 weeks fees will not be applied to the last two weeks of care and all money is due as normal. If I give notice within thefirst year then money will be applied.

Any advice on what to call this "deposit" in my contract since I know there has been talk in the past about choosing words carefully.

Thanks in advance.
    This is how mine works. This is how my son wrote mine. He re-named my deposit to being an enrollment fee. For some reason, people in this country think that a deposit is returnable when the default state of the law is that it is not.

"Enrollment for Day Care Places
    Following interview and being offered a child care space in my day home, both an enrollment fee and signed contract are required to reserve a place for your child. Without these, interviews will continue with other potential clients and all marketing of said vacancy will continue. A place is not considered as taken until both of these are received.
    The enrollment fee is equal to two weeks of child care – the daily rate multiplied by the number of enrolled days being registered x 2 weeks. The fee will be credited to your final weeks of care providing you have been in my care for 12 months or longer. For those who come on a short term basis or who leave in less than 12 months, no credit of the enrollment fee is given. Once you have signed your contract and paid your fee, the space is allocated to your child and all other interviews cease. Should you change your mind for any reason before beginning care, the fee is forfeited.
    If you are applying for a place which is currently empty and available, you are required to pay for that space even if you don't intend using it immediately. I am unable to absorb the cost of leaving a space empty for a future start date.
    The only time a new family is not required to pay for a future start is when it is still occupied by the child known to be leaving. Typically this happens when a child is aging out for school since I know in advance of their departure day and seek to line up a replacement to take the space once it is vacant. Client's contracting for a space that will be available in the future are charged for that space only once it becomes vacant and therefore available for their use."

In terms of all money due during a notice period, that is covered under my policy for ending care. It says :

"Termination of Contract
    Immediate termination is available to the provider if ; A child’s behaviour threatens the physical or emotional well-being of anyone else in the day home, if a parent is verbally, physically abusive or threatening to any persons in the day home, for non-payment, for failure to disclose non-immunization or for “dosing and dropping” to hide symptoms of illness
    which would deem a child as needing 24 hour exclusion. In these circumstances a charge of 28 days (4 weeks) fees in lieu of the written notice will be applied as it's wholly avoidable.
    Termination by either party for any other reasons requires four weeks written notice. Fees are due regardless of attendance for the notice period. For those who have more than one child in my care, the notice period is six weeks. "
    Last edited by Suzie_Homemaker; 03-20-2018 at 09:04 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    This is how mine works. This is how my son wrote mine. He re-named my deposit to being an enrollment fee. For some reason, people in this country think that a deposit is returnable when the default state of the law is that it is not.

"Enrollment for Day Care Places
    Following interview and being offered a child care space in my day home, both an enrollment fee and signed contract are required to reserve a place for your child. Without these, interviews will continue with other potential clients and all marketing of said vacancy will continue. A place is not considered as taken until both of these are received.
    The enrollment fee is equal to two weeks of child care – the daily rate multiplied by the number of enrolled days being registered x 2 weeks. The fee will be credited to your final weeks of care providing you have been in my care for 12 months or longer. For those who come on a short term basis or who leave in less than 12 months, no credit of the enrollment fee is given. Once you have signed your contract and paid your fee, the space is allocated to your child and all other interviews cease. Should you change your mind for any reason before beginning care, the fee is forfeited.
    If you are applying for a place which is currently empty and available, you are required to pay for that space even if you don't intend using it immediately. I am unable to absorb the cost of leaving a space empty for a future start date.
    The only time a new family is not required to pay for a future start is when it is still occupied by the child known to be leaving. Typically this happens when a child is aging out for school since I know in advance of their departure day and seek to line up a replacement to take the space once it is vacant. Client's contracting for a space that will be available in the future are charged for that space only once it becomes vacant and therefore available for their use."

In terms of all money due during a notice period, that is covered under my policy for ending care. It says :

"Termination of Contract
    Immediate termination is available to the provider if ; A child’s behaviour threatens the physical or emotional well-being of anyone else in the day home, if a parent is verbally, physically abusive or threatening to any persons in the day home, for non-payment, for failure to disclose non-immunization or for “dosing and dropping” to hide symptoms of illness
    which would deem a child as needing 24 hour exclusion. In these circumstances a charge of 28 days (4 weeks) fees in lieu of the written notice will be applied as it's wholly avoidable.
    Termination by either party for any other reasons requires four weeks written notice. Fees are due regardless of attendance for the notice period. For those who have more than one child in my care, the notice period is six weeks. "
    Thank you so much Suzie, this was exactly what I was looking for. Would you mind if I used this in my contract or would you prefer it if I reworded it? TIA

Euphoric !
    Help yourself