Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Looking for Peanut-Free daycare in Ottawa

Hello,
    I am seeking a full-time care for my son in April 2019 when he turns one year old. He is confirmed allergic to peanuts, so we are looking for a peanut free-environment. We are seeking care in the centre or west end of the city.
    Please send me a message if you think it might be a good fit

Thank you
    Chuck

Euphoric !
    This forum isn't really for ads seeking care. It's more used by provider's to exchange information. If you come off the forum to the main section of this website, you can search by postal code for day homes in your area with spaces. You will have to contact them to see if they can offer peanut free care.

As a provider who has done this in the past, I would say it's not going to be easy. Because you are going into someone's home for care, you are effectively asking them to eliminate peanuts from their family diet as well as their day home because it's often the same food prep area. Vs a center, where any food coming in is specifically for the business and there's not a family living in the same space and storing prepping their household meals.

For me, when I had a child with peanut allergies I will say the challenge wasn't just the restriction to my family's food but also that other parents don't understand the seriousness. It wasn't uncommon despite the allergy being known, that someone would arrive having eaten PB on toast on the way in the car and the parent thought a quick brush down for crumbs was enough.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    What Susie said, but food allergies can be so overwhelming! I wish you the best of luck!

I will say that I am allergic to peanuts, my kids are not. As an adult, I have safely managed my kids having pb- even in my home. But expecting other families and kids to understand an appreciate the seriousness may be a challenge.

Outgoing
    Hello,
    I am seeking a full-time care for my son in April 2019 when he turns one year old. He is confirmed allergic to peanuts, so we are looking for a peanut free-environment. We are seeking care in the centre or west end of the city.*
    Please send me a message if you think it might be a good fit

Thank you
    Chuck
    Hi,

If you keep looking I'm sure you'll find someone. They're providers that their own children have peanuts allergies so, those home know how to support children with allergies. Keep calling Mothercraft, children's village, Andrew Fleck, centrepointe childcare services. I'm sure you'll find someone.

I have currently children in my care with allergies I carry epipens and had a training for that. I just mantain a separate kitchenette for my dc kids so I do not have to face cross contamination. When I started I was worried but now I give tips to caregivers that need my support in my area in regards of allergies or special foods and meals. The parents in my group (being one a dietitian at the G.hospital an a herbalist grandmother) helped me to tailor my weekly menus for these little children that needed our support more than ever, I work with peanut, milk, and eggs allergies. I have a long waiting list but I'm certain you can find someone. And also you can check www.ccprn.com many caregivers go there for epipens and other training perhaps you can leave your info. Or search in their providers database. Also, try to look in the "Westboro's moms and dad's" fb maybe posting there the community will guide you. There is a new fb group I think it is www.pccng.com
    Perhaps posting there would also help.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Peacefulbird; 01-30-2019 at 05:54 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peacefulbird For This Useful Post: