Hi there,

I'm a first time poster who's been on the daycare provider scene for a little over a year and have come across a new situation. I took on a 1 year old who's turned out to have some deep separation anxiety, crying when put down at all times... throwing mad tantrums when he can't see me like when I'm getting something from the fridge and he can't see me behind the door or when I m in the washroom. So let's say he is at the end of a high needs spectrum. I have other children in my care ,and we are generally a happy bunch, who have been taking one for the team while newbie gets settled. However it's been a month and nada... basically no give he rarely plays with anything, and still requires in my estimation 75% of the day that he be within reach of me or tantrums. Now Im a reasonable person but the older children have started asking questions along the lines of "does he need to be here" and a couple of parents have made comments in passing " he's quite the handful here eh?" Today I verbally let the father know that I am willing to give him one more month to adjust then if there hasn't been improvement I may not be the right fit for them. I was frazzled because he is slightly ill but with his temperament that means epic proportions of needy, of course when dad picked him up his demeanor did a 180 too pretty much solidifying my opinion that this isn't progressing well at all. I'm really looking for advice on how to proceed because I really do like to keep a pleasant atmosphere and hate feeling like I'm constantly weighing one childs needs over the groups... Any insights are welcome. On a side note both my hubs and MIL have been here during newbies hours here and they have encouraged me to term. Also Newbie is a cool baby if I was his personal nanny alas I'm a multi child caregiver.