Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Ontario Insurance issue, HELP!

I've been having trouble to get an insurance company. I was with Wawanesa, but they no longer want to insure me with more than 5 kids (that is 3 dck and my own who are 3 and 6 yo). Even my 6yo son does not count on my numbers, the insurers don't care. My husband has been working with 2 insurance brokers the last few days, but companies have declined to insure the house/daycare with the current number of kids which is 4 dck, plus my own 3 and 6 yo. One of the brokers told us that if we do not consider our own kids in the policy, in case we need to make a claim, the contract would be invalid and we would be on our own to cover any costs. So, keep paying house insurance with no daycare insurance is just a waste of money, because in case something happens to the house I would not be able to make any claims with the insurer.

I am in Vaughan, On, north of Toronto. Can anyone that is in a similar situation could recommend and a broker or company's contact information?

Euphoric !
    I had the same issue with Wawanesa about 2 years ago. They gave the the run around at renewal stage wanting all sorts of information and in the end still wouldn't cover the full number.

I switched to Co-operators. They were amazing because while their basic level information also would only cover some of the children, they were willing to go to the underwriters, explain that in this province our limits were higher than their cover and fight for me to be able to have what I needed. They did have to come out and inspect the home to ensure it was well maintained and there were no obvious safety issues and I've been with them since. The bonus being that while their business insurance was higher than Wawanesa, the house coverage was cheaper so I actually ended up paying less than I had been.

EDIT - Like you, I had issues with everyone else not wanting to cover the full number of children and here, like you, we must have day home insurance because had we needed to claim on the house insurance and they found an uninsured home based business, then the house claim would be denied for non-disclosure of the day home. We have to have both covered or essentially we would be paying for home insurance that would never pay out if needed.
    Last edited by Suzie_Homemaker; 04-05-2018 at 11:57 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

I contacted State Farms and Cooperators a few minutes ago and they are looking into my case

Outgoing
    I have been with a commercial one until I found State Farm. Many in my group changed to state farm. Give them a call. They're also insuring licensed homes up to 6 children. Give them a call and give us a feed back so we can refer to others as well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peacefulbird For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Artsand crafts View Post
    I contacted State Farms and Cooperators a few minutes ago and they are looking into my case
    Great I hope you get better results. If they're not helpful here perhaps I can contact you with our agent in my city (she used to be a homedaycare provider) she basically knows how our business work.

I found here in my city Cooperators weren't even familiar with all changes happening (therefore they came up with a quote if $1300 just for my business considered commercial because I added an extra child! !!)

It was hard, I was approved to have six kids but couldn't find the insurance to cover it. So, as mentioned before I used a commertial insurance for daycare centres (it was only $500), which would cover I think up to 24 kids. (I only had 6) also the insurer was very helpful when I most needed (the rep. Was another home childcare provider and she understood), I stayed with them for almost three years, until I found state farm (my business insurance was included into my house insurance and it was really low and still have $2000.000 each child liability coverage).

I had no issues of getting the commercial insurance they were located in another city I think Hamilton.

I am already insured with State Farms! I contacted 2 different agents from State Farms and 1 from Cooperators, on Thursday. The 3 of them asked questions about the house/daycare and told me they would have to check with their head offices and come back to me later. Only one of them called me back and sent me the quotation Yesterday (the total fee was very similar to what we were paying with Wawanesa). The coverage includes 6 daycare kids plus my own. Since it was late in the afternoon when we told him to go ahead, it was too late for him to get our payment information. He said he would get that from us on Monday, but in the meantime we were already insured and sent me a document stating that. If someone else finds this information helpful, this is his contact info: Roy Lee, phone: 905-597-0877, email: roy.lee.jkiq@statefa rm.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Artsand crafts For This Useful Post: